Can you create section links on a map in Journal app?

Jump to solution
04-15-2017 05:50 AM
JohnShepard
New Contributor II

Hi everyone,

I'm creating a river journey story map using the Journal app, and would like the home section to feature a map of the river with location links that would jump to different sections of the story map.

Suggestions of how to do this?

Thanks!

John 

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
StephenSylvia
Esri Regular Contributor

The map journal template will allow you to link to different sections from the text in the side panel but does not have the capability to do so from popups in the map. Here's a blog post with instructions: Adding links to sections in Story Map Journal | ArcGIS Blog

If you do have a developer, our apps are open source so you can download and extend the map journal template to add this feature. We done something similar in the past and wrote a blog post about it. In our case, we've added a second map that is always available to viewers so they can quickly navigate to different sections based on map feature.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
StephenSylvia
Esri Regular Contributor

The map journal template will allow you to link to different sections from the text in the side panel but does not have the capability to do so from popups in the map. Here's a blog post with instructions: Adding links to sections in Story Map Journal | ArcGIS Blog

If you do have a developer, our apps are open source so you can download and extend the map journal template to add this feature. We done something similar in the past and wrote a blog post about it. In our case, we've added a second map that is always available to viewers so they can quickly navigate to different sections based on map feature.

0 Kudos
JohnShepard
New Contributor II

Thanks Stephen.

I like what you've done with the concept of an index map, and it is close to what I was envisioning. Do you know if there would be any barriers to having an index map on the main stage of the home section of the Journal app? Our project focuses on the full length of the Mississippi River and will have dozens of placed-based sections that we'd like to have visible on a main stage map that would have links to each section. Your index map idea could work in the same way, but I'd like to see if it's possible to give the index map more room for detail and for accessing particular places without having to zoom in so much that you lose perspective of where you are within the 2,500 mile river corridor. 

John

0 Kudos
StephenSylvia
Esri Regular Contributor

There is no barrier to adding the code to make the links work on the in the main stage rather than a separate side panel. Instead of adding a custom map, I would recommend just adding the map as you normally would through the builder. Then download the code and use the included event to access the underlying map object and load events: GitHub - Esri/storymap-journal: The Story Map Journal is ideal when you want to combine narrative te....

I would also recommend providing additional context to the user before navigating to a different section. So instead of immediately navigating to a new section when you click on a point, first show the popup with the title name and maybe a short description. Then append a button which says something like "Click to learn more" that then navigates to that section. We incorporated a similar overview map with clickable points that immediately navigated points in the first main stage of a prototype map journal and many users were confused by the behavior.

0 Kudos
JohnShepard
New Contributor II

Excellent, Stephen! Thanks for the all the detailed suggestions. All good ideas!

John

0 Kudos
RickeyFight
MVP Regular Contributor

Look at this example:

Marvel Superhero Origins 

I think it will do what you want.

A feature service is needed to make this work. 

0 Kudos