Photo rotation and EXIF tags

04-14-2017 01:57 PM
EricFord2
New Contributor II

Hi,

I am running into an issue with the EXIF tags for photos collected with Survey123.  All the photos are coming in with an EXIF rotation of 6, regardless of their true orientation.    The orientation of the device when taking the photo doesn't seem to matter.

Here are example photos:

Photo rotated correctly with and EXIF tag of 6Photo rotated incorrectly with and EXIF tag of 6

Both photos have an EXIF tag of 6, but the one on the left is rotated correctly, and the one on the right needs to be rotated.

There are 100's of photos in this project, and I am trying to avoid having to rotate them manually.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
6 Replies
JamesTedrick
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Eric,

We believe we have resolved this issue 2.0.  If you interested, I can add you to TestFlight to verify this on your end.

0 Kudos
EricFord2
New Contributor II

Hi James,

That would be great.  Let me know what I need to do to try it out.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
EricFord2
New Contributor II

Hi James,

I have just been testing the Exif tags in version 2.0, and find that the Exif tag is still 6 regardless of the photo orientation.  The test survey was created in Survey123 Connect version 2.0.35, and data collected using version 2.0.53 of the app.  When taking a photo from within the app the photo rotation appears correct (i.e. landscape vs. portrait or button to left vs. right) but when downloading the GDB with attachments or viewing online, the photos are all landscape, and Exif orientation of 6.  Let me know if examples of what we are seeing would help explain what we are seeing.

Just wondering if I am missing a piece of the puzzle, or if this is still an issue?

Thanks

Eric

0 Kudos
JamesTedrick
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Eric,

Thanks for pointing this out.  A couple of questions:

1) What device(s) are you using with Survey123?

2) If applicable, what orientation is the device in when you open the camera?

0 Kudos
EricFord2
New Contributor II

1.  I am testing on an iPad with software version 10.2.1 and an iPhone with software version 10.3.1.

2.  Usually the orientation of the device is horizontal with the button to the right when I open the camera, and when the camera opens up, the image from the camera fills the screen with a landscape photo.  When I open the camera with the button at the bottom, the camera opens up with a portrait image that fills the screen.  In both cases changing the orientation of the device when in picture mode rotates the image to fill the screen.

Thanks for taking the time to help!  Let me know if you have any more questions.

0 Kudos
VinceE
by
Occasional Contributor II

Eric,

Did you ever get a resolution to this issue? I am finding something similar when taking photos using Survey123 on an iPad--regardless of orientation, the EXIF orientation tag is logged as 1.

0 Kudos