Unable to install arcgis, fatal error

04-11-2017 02:58 AM
RasminaKarim
New Contributor

Hi

My computer meets all system pre-requisites. But not able to install. when i click open the exe file, I get the dialog box to click Run. Then  get the message:
"Fatal Error- This program has got corrupted internal data: it will exit. Please obtain a new copy"

0 Kudos
4 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

That doesn't look like an esri message.  Is that an exact copy?  I would contact tech support in any event since you aren't going to be able to install something that claims to be broken

0 Kudos
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Is this a setup of ArcGIS Desktop? From where did you obtain this setup?

The setup might have been corrupt due to incomplete download/copy.

Try again downloading the setup from an authentic source (e.g. My Esri, if you have an organizational account under maintenance). Else get in touch with your local Esri Distributor to provide a fresh installation setup.

Think Location
0 Kudos
NicholasWalton
New Contributor

Fast forward to 2020 I also have this issue, official copies through ESRI website, tried to different versions of ArcGIS (1.06 & 1.04) and same issue for both.

Generated message:

ArcGIS Coordinate Systems Data

Fatal Error

This program has got corrupted internal data: it will exit.

Please obtain a new copy

I don't believe it is a ESRI generated message, it is a Windows 10 generated one but reactive to the software. Out of the 14 download files for both 1.06 and 1.04 only one worked and for that it required desktop to finish the setup wizard. 

I am going to try again, but honestly (and sorry for venting a little bit) the last 6 years each time I have tried to download/or update the ArcGIS license it is a pain and I count myself as fairly computer literate. ArcGIS is a smashing piece of software, invaluable in my work and a marvel of technology, but changing the software is a hassle every single time.

0 Kudos
KTGYTechnology
New Contributor

I had the same issue on Windows 10 22H2 and found by trying to install a version one step back that the program was requiring .net. It was installed, but by installing the latest version of .net (7.x) I was then able to install ArcGIS.

0 Kudos