Opening webmap in ArcGIS Desktop displays all map layers, regardless of visibility settings in Webmap

04-05-2017 10:34 AM
DanielleKulas
Occasional Contributor III

When I open a webmap in ArcGIS Desktop from ArcGIS Online, it displays all 4 layers of my feature service as turned on, whereas I actually have them all turned off in the saved webmap in ArcGIS Online.... I'd like them off by default because they are large datasets and I also have a tiled version of the service in the map for quick visualization. If the feature service is automatically turned on as soon as the webmap is opened in ArcMap then it sort of defeats the purpose because the map is super slow to open. Am I missing something? I have 10.3.1. 

Semi related, I published the feature service in question with one of the 4 layers turned off by default. If I add just the feature service itself into ArcMap, all layers are turned on. This is not the case in ArcGIS Online, where the feature service visibility settings remain intact if I add the layer to a new webmap. Seems like this is an issue with the data moving from AGOL to ArcGIS Desktop. Thanks for any help!

0 Kudos
3 Replies
DanielleKulas

In case anyone with the same issue reads this, I ended up starting a ticket with ESRI and it was logged as a bug. 

BUG-000104595 : All layers from a web map are checked in when opened in ArcGIS for Desktop though some layers are unchecked in the web map.

No acceptable workaround was given. I created an idea in the forum if anyone wants to vote on it in hopes to draw attention... I feel like this is a really big issue.

0 Kudos
KoryKramer
Esri Community Moderator

Have you tried opening the web map in ArcGIS Pro?  It looks like everything works fine there, and you can even keep the web map you're viewing in Pro in sync with changes made to the web map in a browser or mobile application: Add maps and scenes to a project—ArcGIS Pro | ArcGIS Desktop 

0 Kudos
DanielleKulas

I recently experienced this issue again and remembered this post... checked on my bug report and there are no comments or updates to BUG-000104595: All layers from a web map are visible when opened in..  I also noticed that bringing layers from an ArcGIS Online webmap into desktop does not respect filters set in the webmap.  I'm using 10.3.1 still, is this fixed in newer versions of Desktop? Our program as a whole hasn't made the switch to Pro yet.

0 Kudos