Add portal items to mosaic dataset

04-04-2017 03:56 PM
DavidJohnson5
Esri Contributor

What is the workflow for adding hosted imagery layer items from a portal to a local mosaic dataset, and then sharing the mosaic dataset on the same portal?  I need to share the source data as both individual imagery layer as well as collectively through a single item, and I want to avoid having to store two copies of each source raster in the data store in order to accomplish this.

Here are a couple of things I've tried:

1.  Using the Add Rasters to Mosaic Dataset tool, I was able to select the portal items after setting the "raster type" parameter to "image service".  The tool ran without any errors or warnings.  However, nothing was added to the mosaic dataset (the footprint table was still empty).  It seems like this should work...

2. For experimental purposes only, I also tried adding the source rasters of the items, which are CRF files in the portal's raster data store, directly to the local mosaic dataset over the network using UNC paths. This actually succeeded. However, after sharing the mosaic dataset to the portal, the resulting imagery layer was unable to access the imagery and would only display the checkerboard pattern you see when the data are inaccessible.  Also, the Analyze Mosaic Dataset tool failed to run on the mosaic dataset with a "failed to analyze <mosaic dataset name>" error.

Thanks for any suggestions!

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Prashant_MukeshMangtani
Esri Contributor

David,

If i understand correctly you want to share crf files as individual items on your portal as well as a collection. Assuming that is what you want to do, the easiest way to do this is to add the crfs to a mosaic dataset and publish the mosaic dataset. The resulting web image layer will not only allow you to see the items as a collection but Pro also allows you to drill into the web image layer (just double click the web image layer in the Project pane) to see the individual items that comprise your mosaic. This gives you access to both the collection and the individual items through one web image layer.

Now in order to do this, its important for the server that you publish the mosaic to, to have access to the data (crfs). One easy way to check this is to try and share one of the crf layers as a web image layer through pro. On the sharing pane if you say you want to share by reference and click analyze, if the server does not have access to the data you will get an analyzer error that will tell you that the data source is not registered with the server. Once you register the location of the crfs you should be able to publish and see the mosaic dataset a web image layer on your portal.

I hope all this helps. Please let me know if this worked for you.

-Prashant

0 Kudos