How can you upload a file / photo >10mb with the Crowdsource Story Map?

Jump to solution
03-31-2017 06:06 AM
JinweiCham
New Contributor

We customised the Crowdsource Story Map so that it allows contributors to upload videos (kind of like this https://developerscorner.storymaps.arcgis.com/story-map-crowdsource-advanced-configuration-60ecd32f0...  specifically the section for "Collect original size photos"). We have requests from the contributors to upload large-ish videos but it seems that the feature layer's attachments are limited to 10mb per file. Has anyone been able to figure out how to do this?

Thank you in advance!

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
StephenSylvia
Esri Regular Contributor

I do not know if ArcGIS Online supports large feature attachments; I've asked that team to verify. It may only be possible through the REST api or specialized apps. The Story Map crowdsource app should have all the standard limits in place.

There are a variety of technical reasons you cannot upload large attachments in a single request as you are attempting. Large requests have a high probability of being interrupted and failing. It also takes significantly longer to upload large attachments as a single request rather than multiple parallel requests. For this reason, you should look at the documentation links I provided above concerning multipart uploads.

Because I'm not as familiar with multipart uploads on feature service, I would recommend asking followup questions to the feature service team. At this point you are working directly with the REST API and possibly third party file upload libraries which are outside of the scope of this story map.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
StephenSylvia
Esri Regular Contributor

I contacted our Feature Service team and if you want to add attachments that are larger than 10mb, you need to use the upload API and use multipart uploads: http://resources.arcgis.com/en/help/arcgis-rest-api/#/Uploads/02r3000000zn000000/, then add the attachment via the upload ID: http://resources.arcgis.com/en/help/arcgis-rest-api/#/Add_Attachment/02r3000000wt000000/.

0 Kudos
JinweiCham
New Contributor

Hi Stephen,

I checked trying to upload the file via the ArcGis Online interface

Home > services > MyFeatureServerName(FeatureServer) > uploads > upload

And this is the result I received:

{   "error" :    {     "code" : 413,      "message" : "",      "details" : [       "Large attachment file is not allowed. Please check server max upload size."     ]   } }

Are the CrowdSource apps server max upload limit fixed for all apps?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
StephenSylvia
Esri Regular Contributor

I do not know if ArcGIS Online supports large feature attachments; I've asked that team to verify. It may only be possible through the REST api or specialized apps. The Story Map crowdsource app should have all the standard limits in place.

There are a variety of technical reasons you cannot upload large attachments in a single request as you are attempting. Large requests have a high probability of being interrupted and failing. It also takes significantly longer to upload large attachments as a single request rather than multiple parallel requests. For this reason, you should look at the documentation links I provided above concerning multipart uploads.

Because I'm not as familiar with multipart uploads on feature service, I would recommend asking followup questions to the feature service team. At this point you are working directly with the REST API and possibly third party file upload libraries which are outside of the scope of this story map.

0 Kudos
JinweiCham
New Contributor

Hi Stephen,

Noted and thanks for the advice! We will continue to explore this, thank you again.

0 Kudos