AGSSceneView - transparent background

Jump to solution
03-29-2017 11:24 AM
BrianFlood1
New Contributor III

AGSSceneView - is it possible to set fully transparent? AGSMapView has a backgroundgrid property, is there anything similar for AGSSceneView? thx

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DiveshGoyal
Esri Regular Contributor

We do plan to allow you to turn off the space/stars around the planet in a future release for the scenario you describe, but I cannot provide a definite timeline for it yet. In the mean while, look at Mark's  suggestion about making the whole view transparent - that could work as long as you don't want to display graphics or features in the scene on top of the feed. 

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
DiveshGoyal
Esri Regular Contributor

We will introduce the capability to set a background grid in the next release, but you won't be able to make the whole view transparent. The background grid in the context of a sceneview only applies to the planet - if you make it transparent then you will see the stars on the other side. It won't make the UIView underneath the sceneview visible

BrianFlood1
New Contributor III

thanks, that makes sense. can you think of anyway to make UIView underneath the sceneview visible? maybe if AGSAtmosphereEffectNone is set, it allows you set a background color or leaves it transparent

I'd like to overlay the sceneview on the live camera and control the viewpoint via device orientation, I think this would make for a simple but effective AR viewer

0 Kudos
MarkDostal
Esri Contributor

Brian,

Take a look at this GitHub repo:  GitHub - mhdostal/HeyWhatsThat: This is an Augmented Reality (AR) app that aims to answer the questi... 

It is an iOS project, using the ArcGIS RuntimeSDK for iOS, which does what you talk about:  overlay a scene view on a live camera and uses the device to control the viewpoint orientation.  It was part of a project for the "Esri Runtime Quartz Hack", detailed here:  Hey, what's that? | Devpost.

Making the UIView underneath the scene view visible is accomplished by setting the alpha value of the scene view to "0.025", via the "View" panel in Interface Builder in the Storyboard containing the scene view.  This has the effect of making the scene view totally transparent (or near enough), so you only see the camera image.

Hope that helps,

Mark

DiveshGoyal
Esri Regular Contributor

We do plan to allow you to turn off the space/stars around the planet in a future release for the scenario you describe, but I cannot provide a definite timeline for it yet. In the mean while, look at Mark's  suggestion about making the whole view transparent - that could work as long as you don't want to display graphics or features in the scene on top of the feed. 

0 Kudos
BrianFlood1
New Contributor III

thanks Mark and Divesh. displaying the scene data on top of the camera feed is required so I'll wait for a future release

0 Kudos