append to agol feature service not working

03-30-2017 02:01 PM
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi all.

For some reason, I can only append one feature at a time into an existing AGOL feature service.

I bring the feature service layer into Pro, plus a local data source (typically a file geodatabase). I then run the Append gp tool, mapping the fields appropriately. It appends the first feature, then fails with the following message:

Start Time: Friday, 31 March 2017 9:41:20 AM
ERROR 999999: Error executing function.
General function failure [Cannot insert duplicate key row in object 'user_2456.BOAT_SURVEY_DEMO_FISHSPECIES' with unique index 'GlobalID_Index'. The duplicate key value is (9bc2a5e1-d2e2-42fd-9802-7caa78b1c739).
The statement has been terminated.]
Failed to execute (Append).

At first, my local data had no global ids, so I tried adding them, but no change, even if I ticked 'preserve global ids' in the append tool (although that failed with a different message).

Has anyone else experienced this, know what is going on, and/or have a fix?

Cheers,

-Paul

0 Kudos
12 Replies
RussellBrennan
Esri Contributor

Hi Paul,

This is a bug that was introduced at Pro 1.4. We are investigating the cause of it now and plan to have a fix for this in the next release. If our investigations reveal a workaround I will post it here.

- Russell

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thanks Russell.

0 Kudos
MatthewAyer
New Contributor II

Are there any suggested workarounds to this bug?  We would like to add features to a hosted feature service used with collector, and are now faced with this issue as well.

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

The append works if only one item is selected - I had approx 10 records to append so just did them one at a time.

Assuming this is not a feasible option for large datasets, someone suggested that copy and paste might still work. I gather it just requires the source and target datasets to be exactly the same. I haven't tested this though. To do this, I would download the source feature layer from agol as a file geodatabase, truncate it to remove the existing data, append into the local layer, then try a copy paste into the agol online feature layer.

Let us know if you get that working...??

I'm still hoping we get an actual fix asap!

0 Kudos
DamonEisenach
Occasional Contributor

I have come up with a way to get the append on repeat to run via a model that keeps running until all items are appended one by one. Only problem is it takes about 4 mins per append and there are usually 100+/- a week.

CollinMcCormick1
New Contributor

I look forward to seeing this bug fixed.  There is a layer I'd like many to be able to update but it's not reasonable for me to expect them to be willing to select the individual records and update one at a time.  I may consider the model approach that damoneisenach‌ came up with. Thanks!

0 Kudos
RussellBrennan
Esri Contributor

Collin,

This issue was resolved with Pro 2.0. There is also a new Append option on the item page in the latest release of ArcGIS Online. This is a very efficient way to load data into your hosted services. I would recommend looking into this if you are using AGOL hosted feature services. 

Russell

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Collin and Russell

Yes I can confirm the issue (at least in our testing) has been resolved in latest Pro.

I note though that appending (or deleting) large datasets via Pro seems excruciatingly slow to the point where I've found it impossible to update datasets with several thousand features. I gave up using Pro for that and instead used the ArcGIS Python API. I put together a script that reads a source spreadsheet in a panda df, converts to correct json format, then uploads in chunks of about 2000 features at a time. As a comparison, easily an hour or two to append via Pro, about 2 min via the script for a spreadsheet of about 20,000 records.

Note that I don't think the new option to load data direct from the AGOL will work as I think that only works on particular layers, e.g. layers published directly from csv or shape files?? Not sure on that, so something I will have to look into.

cheers,

-Paul.

p.s. See my other post which has had no replies as yet.

Why is ArcGIS Pro so slow to delete features or append features into ArcGIS Online? 

0 Kudos
DrewFlater
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Paul, can you share some code snippets of using the Python API to load data into your feature service?

0 Kudos