Scallop Shaped Edges on Interpolation

03-28-2017 11:38 AM
Labels (2)
BrittanyHoffnagle
New Contributor

I am trying to use Natural Neighbor Interpolation on a set nodes (100,000's) to create a raster surface that has a grid resolution of 1x1 meter. When I symbolize the raster to be n=0 clear, and n>0 my specific color ramp I created, the edge of the n>0 extent is scallop shaped. Is anyone familiar with this and know how to solve this without using 3D analyst?

0 Kudos
11 Replies
NeilAyres
MVP Alum

"scallop shaped".

??

Can you show us a picture of what you mean?

0 Kudos
BrittanyHoffnagle
New Contributor

I posted a picture!

0 Kudos
NeilAyres
MVP Alum

But what is the problem with what you have got?

The raster interp seems to be doing exactly what is required.

I take it that the white dots have very low values of whatever it is you are measuring and the blue dots are higher values.

0 Kudos
BrittanyHoffnagle
New Contributor

The scallop or bubble shape in between the white dots. White dots are 0 and the blue is anywhere between 1 and 100. Because of the NNI, there is some excess interpolation out to the white dots. So between the Blue and white dots there is data that doesn't actually naturally occur. We to get rid of the "scallop shape".

0 Kudos
NeilAyres
MVP Alum

I think you are expecting "interpolation" to do something it is not designed to do. It will interpolate between low and high depending on the decay function.

So, if you do not think this is "real", do as Dan_Patterson says, make a clip polygon and clip out the bit that you "like".

0 Kudos
BrittanyHoffnagle
New Contributor

White nodes = 0, Blue nodes >0. It scallops between nodes.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

If you have a grid resolution of 1 m... there is no need to interpolate, just convert to raster using a cell size of 1.5 or 2.  You are going to get no extra 'precision' doing an interpolation, as your data is suggesting

0 Kudos
BrittanyHoffnagle
New Contributor

Our point feature class shape file is not a 1 m grid. We want to interpolate to a 1 meter grid. The problem lies in the scallop shape interpolated edge between the Blue dots and the white (0's) dots. The green yellow and red raster is showing the issue.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

It is the data spread then as Neil suggests.  if you don't want the scalloped edges, then you would have to clip around a bounding extent