Arc Hydro DEM Reconditioning: Stream lines not buring in!

03-28-2017 08:26 AM
AshleyHitt1
New Contributor

Using Arc Hydro DEM Reconditioning to burn stream lines in to DEM....runs fine says it completed with no problems but stream lines aren't burnt in.  It will burn my culvert lines in but not my stream lines.  I enter everything the same for burning culverts vs. streams but it won't burn streams!  HELP!!  Ready to pull my hair out!! Using arc gis 10.3 and hydro tools 2.0.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Assign the stream an attribute value representing the depth of the 'burn'(eg. 2 metere).  Convert streams to a raster using the same cell size and extent as the dem.  Assign the  Subtract the two (Dem - Stream = Burned) now the Dem should have elevations 2 meters less that the original DEM  If anything isn't in the same projection or cell size or extent or the stream has a value of 0 assigned to it then nothing will work

AshleyHitt1
New Contributor

Thanks for answering my question so quickly Dan, much appreciated.  Unfortunately I'm still an Arc GIS novice and I'm not quite sure how to accomplish your suggestion.   I want to keep the original DEM at the same elevation throughout.  End result being a hydo-conditioned DEM.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

to burn a dem, you have to sink the streams into the terrain.  Subtraction can be accomplished using a Con statement or better still... when you convert your streams, you can reclass nodata to zero and where your streams are to some depth (as suggested above).  A raster calculator subtraction will finish the burning or you can use the Minus tool in the spatial analyst.

0 Kudos
curtvprice
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Dan, https://community.esri.com/community/gis/solutions/arc-hydro?sr=search&searchId=d5840ab0-d150-4992-9...‌ tools are way more sophisticated - they include a process called AGREE which does much better flow conditioning than what you can do with a simple raster subtraction with the Con tool. Sharing this over there.