How to download basemap through ArcGIS online to use as an offline

03-27-2017 06:16 AM
KamalMittal
New Contributor III

Hi,

I want to download basemap through ArcGIS online to use as an offline. Let suppose to download NewYork City map to all zoom levels. How do I achieve that without IOS SDK? Is there any online tool to generate tpk file?

Thanks,

Kamal

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
7 Replies
Nicholas-Furness
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Kamal,

You could try this tool: Tile Package Estimator 

Sign in with an ArcGIS Online Org or Developer account and you can get an estimate for how big the TPK will be. The tool can also create a TPK to download (once it's generated, you'll see a download icon).

Note that a TPK covering high zoom levels will be very large. There is also a limit of 100,000 tiles for the TPKs these services generate. Going to level 17 and not including Staten Island will be about 28,000 tiles (about 385Mb). 438,000 tiles to level 19 (so you couldn't generate that TPK from these services).

Vector Tile Basemaps in a VTPK would be a much smaller size but you currently need the source data (e.g. Streetmap Premium) and ArcGIS Pro to create those.

Cheers,

Nick.

P.S. Note: this tool is not an official Esri tool and is not supported but it's not doing anything unusual: See the source here.

0 Kudos
KamalMittal
New Contributor III

Hi Nicholas,

I want tpk file like streetmap premium or Google map. Can we download that kind of basemap as a tpk file from online tool?

Thanks,

Kamal

0 Kudos
Nicholas-Furness
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Kamal,

I'm not sure I understand what you mean by "like streetmap premium or Google map".

As it is, the tool can download the basemap types listed when you click the basemap picker below the zoom controls. The full set of Esri-provided basemaps that are available can be found in this group. You would modify this code to add any other suitable service layers ("suitable" means they must have offline enabled).

Generating a TPK through the tool requires that the tiles are hosted by ArcGIS Online or ArcGIS Server and the tile service is configured to enable TPK export (see step 6 here). So you cannot get Google Maps. Related, we have negotiated with our various data providers to enable the data to be taken offline so you don't have to worry about that. This applies to all the maps in the group I link to above.

If you have Streetmap Premium, you can generate your own TPKs/VTPKs/MMPKs but you will currently need to use the desktop tools to do that.

Cheers,

Nick.

0 Kudos
KamalMittal
New Contributor III

Thank you so much for a good explanation. Suppose if I purchase Streetmap Premium, then can I generate tpk file through your code??

0 Kudos
AlessandroValra
Occasional Contributor III

NFurness-esristaff Very nice tool! Is there a way to possibly resample the images as you zoom farther than level 19? As it is now, for higher levels of zoom the map will disappear. Just asking, thanks anyway!

0 Kudos
Nicholas-Furness
Esri Regular Contributor

Thanks for the kind words!

When you're using the TPK in your runtime app, you can override the maxScale on the tiled layer. Note that the Map also has a maxScale so you need to make sure that allows sufficient zooming. If maxScale is set appropriately, you should be able to zoom beyond the rendered scale level.

0 Kudos
AlessandroValra
Occasional Contributor III

That is great news. Although I am using it in ArcMap right now (the online webmaps are incredibly slow there, and editing is kind of a pain as I always need to wait endlessly befoere the entire map redraw, and this is happening surprisingly ratrher regardless of the connectivity!...), I will consider this option for future implementations. Thank you!

0 Kudos