Surveys getting submitted with 0,0 lat/long when geopoint is not displayed?

03-16-2017 01:45 PM
TL2
by
Occasional Contributor III

I have noticed that many of my surveys being submitted have coordinates of 0,0 when the user is not prompted to input a location.  Most of my surveys do not display the geopoint question and rely on the functionality build in to default to the current location.  

The same device will submit surveys with correct location data and 0,0 (incorrect, off the coast of Africa) in the same data collecting session.  Is there a way to force or reenforce the default geopoint to be the current location?

my gps is enabled and allowing survey123 access.

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
DfIRivers
Occasional Contributor

I have similar experience.  The location for my surveys is being derived, using the pulldata function, from a CSV file in the "Media" folder that has Asset IDs & lat/longs. I'm assuming that the surveyor is entering an Asset ID that does not exist in the CSV file.  Maybe something similar is happening in your app?

0 Kudos
BrianWebb3
New Contributor III

do you have any "#" in any of your fields that populate into the Survey123 form? I have found that the attributes that I pull over from Collector to Survey123, if one of those text fields contain a "#" any text that comes after it does not populate into the form and the center ends up at 0,0.

0 Kudos
JamesTedrick
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Brian,

Your issue with the # is fundamental to how URLs work - the # is a special character in URLs to denote a section (anchor) in a page.  They would need to be URL-escaped at some point before Survey123 receives it; this is made difficult to do automatically in either the DB, ArcGIS Server or Pop-up, by the legitimate use of the character in URLs. 

0 Kudos
BrianWebb3
New Contributor III

Thanks James! So even if the URL doesn't technically have a # in it, the fact that the data from a field in Collector pulling over to a field in Survey123 causes this issue. I appreciate the feedback.

0 Kudos
BrianWebb3
New Contributor III

I have a similar issue. I use a custom URL in my pop-up from Collector to Survey123 to pull the latitude/longitude in from my feature service from Collector. Some of my points show up in the proper location, and some end up at 0,0. I double and triple checked the coordinates in those 2 fields in my feature service, even re-creating my feature class in WGS84 and calculating the fields again to make sure there are no records that have a space, a comma, or anything odd in the coordinates.