Distortions in a 3D model

03-07-2017 06:53 AM
YigalMuntner
New Contributor III

I'm trying to create a 3 d model from a set of  155 images. It is a small construction project. The result is very bad. The resolution is bad and there are a lot of distortions in the 3d model.

I attach few screen shots. You can see the flight path, sample photos and sample screen shots of the final 3d model.

Can you observe what might be the problem/error?

Thanks,

Yigal

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
10 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

The flight lines seem to indicate that you have plenty of overlap in your photos. There are plenty of shadows however, which could affect your results if your camera doesn't have adequate dynamic range (i.e. ability to distinguish slight variations in color, especially in shadowy areas).

Are you using the latest version, which is Drone2Map 1.1? Would you be able to provide your data if I gave you an upload location? Assuming you have tried this with version 1.1, we would be willing to give it a go.

0 Kudos
YigalMuntner
New Contributor III

Hello Roslyn,

Yes, I have tried version 1.1 . Did not get a good result.

I can send you the data. Please provide me an upload location.

Thanks,

Yigal

0 Kudos
DavidAltergott
Esri Contributor

Hello Yigal,

I looked at the data you provided to Roslyn and have two suggestions which may improve your results. First, in Processing Options under the Dense tab, is to set Point Cloud Densification to 9x9 Pixels. This is the preferred setting for oblique images.

Second is to define/limit your project area with the Draw tool in the Clip Area group of the ribbon. Doing so will exclude the high oblique data so it won't impact your results.

Regards,

David

0 Kudos
YigalMuntner
New Contributor III

Hello David,

I have used the Draw tool to limit the area. The densification parameter was set to 7*7. I will change it to 9*9 and try once again.

Thanks,

Yigal

0 Kudos
YigalMuntner
New Contributor III

Hi David

After running again the project with your recommendations, I did not get better results.

The 3D model is twisted and has a lot of distortions.

Regards,

Yigal

0 Kudos
DavidAltergott
Esri Contributor

What was the approximate size of your clipping polygon? Mine was no larger than a 200 x 200 meter square. It excluded all of the horizon. My results with it were good.

0 Kudos
YigalMuntner
New Contributor III

It was only a small perimeter around the building. Can you share a screenshot of the 3D product?

Can you share all the 3D model parameters that you were using?

Thanks,

Yigal

clip

Distortions

0 Kudos
DavidAltergott
Esri Contributor

Attached are screenshots of the clip area with the orthomosaic and contours that were generated and a view of the Textured Mesh.

0 Kudos
DavidAltergott
Esri Contributor

Attached is a template of the parameters I used.

0 Kudos