MobileServer how does it work on android

Jump to solution
03-06-2017 10:16 AM
EvelynHernandez
Occasional Contributor III

Hello there,

Im having a question, following this help : Servicios de datos móviles—Documentación (10.3 y 10.3.1) | ArcGIS Enterprise 

I am looking for any example on how to add a mobileServer layer programmaticaly in android and how it works on getting the info.

I dont think i need to simple use  ArcGISDynamicMapServiceLayer   cuz i know only accept layer ending with MapServer.

Thanks for all ur help as always!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ShellyGill1
Esri Contributor

Hi Evelyn,

I think you have the right idea with using ArcGISDynamicMapServiceLayer | ArcGIS Android 10.2.8 API  (or alternatively for those using the current release, ArcGISMapImageLayer| arcgis-android ).

As I understand this, you can turn on mobile data access for a map service, and that allows ArcGIS Mobile to access the data via SOAP. However, as the Runtime SDKs use newer technologies, and access map services directly, using REST, theres no need to use the mobile data access part of a map service to view this in ArcGIS Runtime SDK for Android. Perhaps this part of the help topic is helpful:

Los servicios de datos móviles también tienen una exposición limitada por medio de REST con el fin de permitir su búsqueda en el Directorio de servicios de ArcGIS; sin embargo, no hay API REST para trabajar con el servicio de datos móviles en una aplicación cliente. Las API de ArcGIS para iOS, Android y Windows Phone pueden ver servicios de mapas a través de REST sin la función Acceso a datos móviles habilitada. Si desea habilitar la edición basada en REST de las entidades en estas aplicaciones, puede habilitar la función Acceso a entidades en el servicio de mapas.

So if you have a MobileServer URL, just look for the corresponding MapServer service (e.g. on SampleServer6 you can see two endpoints for WindTurbines - one MapServer and one MobileServer), then use the MapServer URL to create an ArcGISDynamicMapServiceLayer.

Hope this helps,

Shelly

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
ShellyGill1
Esri Contributor

Hi Evelyn,

I think you have the right idea with using ArcGISDynamicMapServiceLayer | ArcGIS Android 10.2.8 API  (or alternatively for those using the current release, ArcGISMapImageLayer| arcgis-android ).

As I understand this, you can turn on mobile data access for a map service, and that allows ArcGIS Mobile to access the data via SOAP. However, as the Runtime SDKs use newer technologies, and access map services directly, using REST, theres no need to use the mobile data access part of a map service to view this in ArcGIS Runtime SDK for Android. Perhaps this part of the help topic is helpful:

Los servicios de datos móviles también tienen una exposición limitada por medio de REST con el fin de permitir su búsqueda en el Directorio de servicios de ArcGIS; sin embargo, no hay API REST para trabajar con el servicio de datos móviles en una aplicación cliente. Las API de ArcGIS para iOS, Android y Windows Phone pueden ver servicios de mapas a través de REST sin la función Acceso a datos móviles habilitada. Si desea habilitar la edición basada en REST de las entidades en estas aplicaciones, puede habilitar la función Acceso a entidades en el servicio de mapas.

So if you have a MobileServer URL, just look for the corresponding MapServer service (e.g. on SampleServer6 you can see two endpoints for WindTurbines - one MapServer and one MobileServer), then use the MapServer URL to create an ArcGISDynamicMapServiceLayer.

Hope this helps,

Shelly

0 Kudos
EvelynHernandez
Occasional Contributor III

So i still dont understand the meaning of enabling or disabling the mobile access

0 Kudos
ShellyGill1
Esri Contributor

I understand it can be difficult to follow all the functionality... It seems to me that this is an older functionality, and probably not relevant to anyone starting to develop apps today (bear in mind, I'm not really familiar with this technology/product, someone else might know more though, and there may be reasons why you would use this today...). So the meaning of enabling mobile access was to allow ArcGIS Mobile apps to access data as a service, via SOAP and not REST (which things like ArcGIS Runtime will use - the MapServer and FeatureServer endpoints have supported REST access for many years). I believe however that there are still existing systems and users making use of ArcGIS Mobile (as systems and hardware dont always get updated unless there's a specific need). Here's some old links that I could find that explain ArcGIS Mobile - you can see it's older tech!:

ArcNews Fall 2006 Issue -- Introducing ArcGIS Mobile--Build and Deploy Mobile Applications Powered b... 

FAQ: What is ArcGIS Mobile? 

https://www.esri.com/~/media/Files/Pdfs/library/brochures/pdfs/arcgis-for-mobile.pdf 

Hope this helps,

Shelly