Why does my answered survey have no records ?

Jump to solution
03-04-2017 01:32 AM
FatmaŞenol
Occasional Contributor II

Dear All, 

I posted a similar question yesterday but haven't received any comment so far. I guess I didn't make my question 

clear enough. 

I designed  and published a survey  to collect data of certain aspects of historical buildings in a small town. The number of questions in the survey is 51 and  so far 899 surveys have been filled and submitted (Survey Overview.jpg). The problem is that when I check the results on Survey123.arcgis.com all I can see is the location of data points and the picture taken at the data point (Survey Data.jpg).  I'm quite confused on why the data table looks empty as if a survey was submitted without entering any data.

I need immediate help on this matter. I would be grateful if anyone at ESRI could share a solution as soon as possible. I would appreciate any immediate contribution.

Regards

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JamesTedrick
Esri Esteemed Contributor

I followed up with Omur offline and identified the issue.

View solution in original post

20 Replies
JamesTedrick

Hi Omur,

When was this survey authored?  Was it authored via Survey123Connect or using the Survey123 website?  The results you are seeing look like the issue that caused us to post a blog post on Friday - https://community.esri.com/groups/survey123/blog/2017/03/03/known-issue-with-public-surveys-made-via... 

0 Kudos
FatmaŞenol

Hi James,

The survey was authored on March 2nd. It was authored via Survey123 website. I don't  know if this is the same issue but this survey is not public so each user has to sign in.  This issue is quite critical to me and the most important thing is to be able to download survey as gdb and create maps and reports as soon as possible.

0 Kudos
FatmaŞenol

Hi James, 

I truly hope there would be a solution as soon as possible.  I would share the survey results as gdb or csv if you want to look at the problem closely. I'm sorry for bringing  up the same issue again but there is huge pressure on my side to fix this problem.  Best Regards

0 Kudos
JamesTedrick

We will be doing a hot fix a little later this week as we get the fix completed and verified.  Note that this will not recover existing data, just ensure that surveys published in the future do not experience this problem.  If the surveys were collected using the mobile application, it may be possible to recover the original surveys by extracting the data from the phones.

0 Kudos
FatmaŞenol

Hello James,

I'm glad to hear that this issue will be fixed soon. But, I'm extremely concerned about the existing data since the field work is finished and total number of record is 2923.  As I mentioned in my first response, the survey was not public and data were collected by 23 participants. Since there was no notification on this unexpected result of March 1st update of ArcGIS Online I published my survey and started collecting data .It's quite unfortunate the hot fix will not recover existing data collected after March 1st. It's impossible to collect the same data again after you get the fix completed. ESRI has to find a way to recover almost 3000 existing records.

I can hardly understand why existing data could not be recovered.  Yes, the surveys were collected using the mobile application but I don't  have detailed information on how original surveys could be recovered. Should we create a new survey with the same questions and re-submit the original survey ? What is the workflow to extract the data from the phones ? I would appreciate if you could let me know the possible solutions. 

Regards

0 Kudos
FatmaŞenol

Hi James, 

I want to ask you if there is any solution to recover the existing data as we approach end of the week. The number of surveys increased to 3215 since some of the students sent additional surveys. Apparently, new surveys can be sent from phones but there is still no data shown in the table. The current situation remains the same. I can only see data points and pictures as an attachment. Is it possible to transfer existing records to another survey? In our case this would be a copy of the original survey. We need a working solution as soon as possible. I would appreciate if you could let me know if there is any progress. 

Regards

0 Kudos
JamesTedrick

Hi Omur,

In reviewing with our technical support, it was misdiagnosed as only affecting public users because of the permission levels the technical support people had - they were acting as administrators when duplicating and had elevated permissions.

In terms of recovering, the best method for you should be:

1) enable the fields to be shown in the destination fieldworker service - this was documented in the blog post I had previously placed in this forum and must be done for the existing feature service - see Enable anonymous submittal - 03/2017 workaround - YouTube 

2) have the students resubmit their surveys, by going to the sent folder, clicking on their responses, and then submit the form again

0 Kudos
FatmaŞenol

Hi James,

As I mentioned in my previous message, we are still unable to view any records in the table. I have two questions;

1) Is it possible to copy all records of the original survey to another survey which has exact same structure ?
I'm not sure if this approach makes sense but it has come to my mind.

2) I managed to extract SQLite files from phones and copy a SQLite file to C:\Users\Saygins\ArcGIS\My Surveys\Databases (Survey123 for Desktop). This way, I'm able to see the surveys which each student has
collected on the field. I opened a survey and tried to send them again without any modification.
However this method has failed since adding attachments are never finished for some reason.
Is it possible to use this method to resubmit surveys ?

I urgently need to find a solution or workaround ASAP. Please let me know if you have any other suggestion.

Regards

0 Kudos
JamesTedrick

Hi Omur,

Given where you're at, submittal from your computer or extraction is the best option.  If you've copied the images over along with the sqlite databases, place them in the 'My Survey Attachments' folder to have submit properly.

Alternatively, I have a python script that can read the sqlite database and extract the data- let me know if you want to pursue that route.