ArcGIS Pro Licensing issue

03-01-2017 05:51 PM
CassandraFollett
New Contributor III

We have concurrent licenses for ArcGIS Pro and ArcMap. We're an educational organization. 

With ArcMap, we simply point to the licensing server once the product has been installed. No problems after that and everyone can use the installed product without needing to adjust licensing options. 

With ArcGIS Pro, when I install on a machine, I set the licensing options to point to the license manager.

The problem is, when a different user profile logs in, they are prompted to license the product. Even when I change registry keys to point to the license server, new user profiles are still prompted to license the product. If I lean over the students shoulder, I can manually adjust their options to point to the license server, but this isn't ideal because I can't be present all the time in a computer lab, I have other things to do! ESRI support was very confused by me explaining the situation and didn't give much direction on this.

When ArcGIS Pro was released, I was initially very excited. Now though until this issue is resolved I'm planning to uninstal ArcGIS Pro from every lab; the headache and work for me it's created is unbelievable.  

- Does anyone know any workarounds to make sure that the licensing information "sticks" across user profiles on a machine?

- How can you enable extensions by default on a new user profile like you could with ArcMap?

6 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Things changed with PRO 1.4 and arcmap 10.5

We haven't deployed except for individual cases.

You would be advised to read the links first to see if anything makes sense to you.

I presume that the students all have AGOL accounts?

here goes

http://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/get-started/licensing-arcgis-pro.htm and start reading downward

report back with questions

0 Kudos
CassandraFollett
New Contributor III

well, right there in your link (which I had already read), it says,

"Concurrent Use licensing with ArcGIS Pro follows the same management and authorization steps as ArcMap. With a Concurrent Use license, your machine points to a License Manager Server for license authorization from a shared pool of licenses, and you can choose your license level and extensions as long as the desired license is available. This allows for more users to have ArcGIS Pro installed on their machine than total number of licenses. Simultaneous use of ArcGIS Pro is limited by the total number of available licenses in the License Manager Server." 

I mean, this seems to imply to me that yes, having multiple users on a machine with concurrent license is allowed. It says, "same management and authorization steps as ArcMap". But with ArcMap you just set it and forget it, and can safely assume that the machine sets the license manager for ever user. Why I have to point to the license manager for each user on a machine is something I don't understand. 

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

With that quote in hand, I would contact your educational support rep to ensure that concurrent/named user situation is straightened out.  When the 10.4.1 to 10.5 arcmap and 1.3 to 1.4 Pro change occurred, the interpretation of the documentation was confusing... we are leaving pro until the fall since we only have 5 weeks left in term

0 Kudos
CameronKroeker
Esri Contributor

Hello Cassandra,

I recommend installing ArcGIS Pro silently.This way we can pass the following parameters:

ALLUSERS=1

Defines the installation context of the ArcGIS Pro setup, where ALLUSERS=1 specifies a per-machine install and ALLUSERS=2 is a per-user instance. If this parameter is not specified, the installation defaults to per user

ESRI_LICENSE_HOST

Specifies the host name of the license manager

AUTHORIZATION_TYPE

Use "SINGLE_USE" to install ArcGIS Pro as a Single Use seat; "CONCURRENT_USE" to install as a Concurrent Use seat; and "NAMED_USER" for a Named User license.

LOCK_AUTH_SETTINGS

During a silent, per-machine installation of ArcGIS Pro, if the authorization type is defined, this is set to True under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Esri\ArcGISPro\Licensing. When LOCK_AUTH_SETTINGS is True, the licensing settings in the registry apply to all ArcGIS Pro users on that machine; an individual user cannot make changes. To allow ArcGIS Pro users on the machine to define their own authorization settings through the ArcGIS Pro application, set LOCK_AUTH_SETTINGS to False.

Install options—ArcGIS Pro | ArcGIS Desktop 

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

hopefully after 10 months they have figured something out

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

I tested this on my comp... although the License Level is set as per LM, I still have to check the extensions...