Webmaps inaccessible to Storymaps

Jump to solution
03-02-2017 02:52 AM
CaitlinPearson
New Contributor II

I have several storymaps that have stopped functioning. The tabbed layout and text is still opening but the map does not display with the error message 'Could Not Retrieve Map Name INACCESSIBLE'. The Webmap still opens and works fine, all the layers are there and it is shared publically. Is there a reason why the story map can't access the webmap. I've even tried creating a new storymap from the webmap and have the same problem. Thanks

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
KellyGerrow
Esri Frequent Contributor

Caitlin Pearson

I did a little more research into this application and it looks like you are running into performance issues due to the size of the maps that you are loading in your story map. This will cause the browser to crash or the app not to load, depending on the resources available.

For example, this web map holds the geometry data in the web map for all of your layers. If you look at the text of this web map, you will see that each point is written and stored in the web map: 

https://ydrt.maps.arcgis.com/sharing/content/items/be7bbb6b740a4c07972713e726456280/data?f=json 

This is quite a lot of information to be drawn and loaded in a web browser. To improve the performance, try publishing your data as a hosted feature service (requires and Organizational account). This will push the work to a server to store and display the data, removing the necessity to store all of the geometry information in the web map.

-Kelly 

View solution in original post

8 Replies
CarmelConnolly3
Occasional Contributor II

Hi Caitlin,

Are you able to open the web map successfully if you're not signed into your account?

Other things that impact on the sharing of a web map are the basemap and locators, might be worth checking them.

Has your ArcGIS Online organisation had a change in security settings recently?

Carmel

KellyGerrow

Hi CaitlinYDRT‌,

Great suggestions carmelconnollytemp‌! If looking into the sharing of the web map and content doesn't resolve the issue,  share the link to your story map here or give Technical support a call to look into this issue further.

-Kelly

0 Kudos
CaitlinPearson
New Contributor II

Thanks both. I can't view the Storymap whether I'm logged in or not logged in. The basemap displays fine on the webmap and there haven't been any changes to our account so this can't explain it. 

I'm having the same issue with all of our storymaps but here is a link to one of them:

https://ydrt.maps.arcgis.com/apps/MapSeries/index.html?appid=5df8d513cb6e479d91b3a3eedf291adc 

Thank you so much for your help. 

0 Kudos
KellyGerrow

Hi Caitlin,

I can view the story map just fine when I open it, which points towards a browser or environment issue on your end.

1. Try opening the story map in private browsing mode like incognito in chrome.

2. Try opening the map on another network connection, like on your phone signed out of your current Wifi.

3. Try clearing your browser cache and reopening the map: Refreshyourcache.com - The Guide to Clear your Browser Cache! 

Let us know if this works.

-Kelly 

KellyGerrow

Caitlin Pearson

I did a little more research into this application and it looks like you are running into performance issues due to the size of the maps that you are loading in your story map. This will cause the browser to crash or the app not to load, depending on the resources available.

For example, this web map holds the geometry data in the web map for all of your layers. If you look at the text of this web map, you will see that each point is written and stored in the web map: 

https://ydrt.maps.arcgis.com/sharing/content/items/be7bbb6b740a4c07972713e726456280/data?f=json 

This is quite a lot of information to be drawn and loaded in a web browser. To improve the performance, try publishing your data as a hosted feature service (requires and Organizational account). This will push the work to a server to store and display the data, removing the necessity to store all of the geometry information in the web map.

-Kelly 

CaitlinPearson
New Contributor II

Thanks so much Kelly. I was able to view the original map in a private

browsing session but using hosted feature service layers for the larger

datasets has made the map open more easily.

Caitlin Pearson PhD.

Project Officer

Yorkshire Dales Rivers Trust

Mobile: 07809579976

Email: caitlin.pearson@yorkshiredalesriverstrust.com

<dan.ydrt@yahoo.co.uk>

Like us on* Facebook*: www.facebook.com/yorkshiredalesriverstrust, follow

us on Twitter: @YorkDalesRT or Instagram: yorkdalesrt

MilaAlvarez
New Contributor III

Kelly, thank you for the information. I have a similar problem that I cannot solve by trying your advise. As I am creating a story map, the map I want to show does not fully upload (the south east corner of the US is blank for a long while, si the screen shot). I have simplified the map as much as possible to just keep the info I want to show. The map is also published (not public yet) in my ESRI Online account and I have no trouble open it there (only when I try to upload it in the story map). Any advice? What is the size limit for interactive maps to open fast and completely in a story map?

Thank you in advance for your support!

Mila

0 Kudos
KellyGerrow

Hi Mila,

It looks like there is a log of data in this map. When you open the webmap does a little exclamation mark warning appear in the lower left hand corner? If so, it may indicate that there are too many features to retrieve from the server.

Will this data be update frequently or is it static? If it's static, try using a tiled map service instead. This won't require the server to return complex geometry with each request.

If the data will be updating and you want it to stay as a feature service, try enabling optimized layer drawing. This simplifies the generalizes the data at small scales, leaving the complex geometry  when you zoom in closely.

-Kelly

0 Kudos