AnsweredAssumed Answered

When converting MS Worksheet with lat/long to shapefile, Worksheet file will round the 10 digit(double), last digit will always be zero

Question asked by phoebe.ho on Feb 22, 2017
Latest reply on Feb 23, 2017 by abdallah_91@yahoo.com

Hi, I am running into an issue and still very confused why this is happening.

Is anyone able help me reproduce this issue with ArcMap 10.3 ?  I logged a ticket with ESRI Support but they are not able to reproduce it on their end, they are using ArcMap 10.4 

I am using Windows 7 64bit and ArcMap 10.3 and Excel 2013

Issue: When converting Worksheet with lat/long to shapefile, Worksheet file will round the 10 digit phone number field (double), last digit will always be zero. No issue with CSV file.

Here are the steps: 

1.  Open New Excel worksheet. Add the headings -  Name, Phone, Latitude, Longitude.  Add a record, i used a retail store for Petco in SD - Google Maps. Save File as a Excel workbook(default) as Test.xlsx

2.  Using the Catalog window in ArcMap, convert Sheet 1 within Test.xlsx to Shapefile (Create Feature Class) > From XY Table > Coordinates System (WGS 1984). 

3. Open Test.shp and compare phone field -  The phone field will be 8586130200. The correct value should be 8586130197. 

I found this article - Formatting numeric fields in tables—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop   but I dont seem to be able to make adjustment to display the correct value.

I have attached the file for testing. 

Thank you! 

Attachments

Outcomes