Connecting to XML on a FTP?

02-21-2017 05:55 PM
SimonJackson
Occasional Contributor III

Our meterology agency provides a number of feeds via their FTP website:

ftp://ftp.bom.gov.au/anon/gen/fwo/IDV10750.xml

ftp://ftp2.bom.gov.au/anon/gen/fwo/IDV10753.xml

I tried hooking the 'Poll an External Website for XML' input connector to the above endpoints, but the connector fails to get a response.  

Is there a way to do this within GeoEvent such as adjusting the transport used by the XML input connector?

I understand it could be achieved through scheduling downloading these XML files to a folder and have GeoEvent watch the folder for new files, but was hoping on avoiding another moving part.

3 Replies
BrianBaldwin
Esri Regular Contributor

I was just working on doing something similar, but using a plain text URL to pass a secure FTP connection in as an input... but no luck.

-----------------------------------

Brian Baldwin, Esri Inc., Lead Solution Engineer
https://www.linkedin.com/in/baldwinbrian
0 Kudos
IngaPlayle
New Contributor II

Hi Simon & Brian, I am looking to do the same thing - pull data from the BoM FTP site to GeoEvent. Did you find a way to do without downloading the xml files?

Any tips would be great, we have only just installed a dev version of GeoEvent & I am trying to demonstrate it's use to the business.

Inga

0 Kudos
EarlMedina
Esri Regular Contributor

Just in case someone finds this post looking for an answer...

I'm actually working with someone on this very thing. At the moment, there's no out-the-box solution since GeoEvent doesn't come packaged with an FTP transport. I believe an Enhancement was logged for this functionality, however.

I understand it could be achieved through scheduling downloading these XML files to a folder and have GeoEvent watch the folder for new files, but was hoping on avoiding another moving part.

Unfortunately, this is exactly what you'll need to do.

0 Kudos