Can you maintain point symbol rotations in Vector Tile Packages?

02-21-2017 06:32 AM
AndyWright
Occasional Contributor

Does anyone know if there is a way to maintain point symbol rotations in Vector Tile Packages?  I can see the rotations working in ArcGIS Pro, but they don't seem to translate to the VTPKs.  I saw a similar post in the ArcGIS Portal forum from back in October that has yet to be answered.  

I've tried including the symbol rotation field in the VTPK and I've tried including all the attribute fields in the VTPK and neither worked.  Still no rotation in AGOL or my Quartz Runtime app.  Esri's documentation is kind of vague in that it says "Do not draw features with symbols that contain hatched or gradient fills, markers along lines or polygon outlines, or most symbol effects."  When you click the symbol effects link rotation is in that list, so am I to assume it is not supported?  It would be nice if we had a list of specific symbol effects that vector tiles do not support.  That would make our lives a lot easier and save us a ton of time trying to figure these things out.

Can we get some confirmation either way from an Esri resource on this?  Thanks ...

1 Reply
KateLeroux
New Contributor III

Have you highlighted the field in Pro before publishing? See under the Retain relevant attribution heading here: Author a map for vector tile creation—ArcGIS Pro | ArcGIS Desktop 

I've not been successful in referring to a highlighted field in the style JSON, but if you are, let me know. 

I would also really like to see a list of the symbol effects that are not supported in Esri vector tiles. Even some that appear in the Mapbox Style Specification are not supported (yet). One example is line-offset. Esri Support confirmed to me that it is not currently supported, and filed an enhancement for it. Unfortunately, the support rep was not able to give me a list of what is and isn't supported (I asked). 

0 Kudos