How do I group feature layers in an AGO map by theme (categories)? Thanks!

Jump to solution
02-16-2017 01:28 PM
BenArril1
New Contributor II

Hello! My client has requested over 50 feature layers to be added to an AGO map. They all have themes. How do I group feature layers by theme (categories) so the client doesn't have to sift through all of the layers? This is a problem that keeps coming up and is preventing us from providing an effective web mapping solution.

Thanks very much!

Ben

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
MichaelMiller2
Occasional Contributor III

As it stand right now, I believe your only option would be to group the layers in the MXD and publish the service with dynamic layers checked. You would then have those same groupings when you add the entire service to a web map and because of the dynamic layers you could remove individual layers in your web map to create "custom" layer groupings.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
MichaelMiller2
Occasional Contributor III

As it stand right now, I believe your only option would be to group the layers in the MXD and publish the service with dynamic layers checked. You would then have those same groupings when you add the entire service to a web map and because of the dynamic layers you could remove individual layers in your web map to create "custom" layer groupings.

0 Kudos
BenArril1
New Contributor II

Thanks Michael! I'll give it a shot.

Ben

0 Kudos
KellyGerrow
Esri Frequent Contributor

Thanks Michael,

You are correct in that grouping layers is supported with dynamic maps services hosted on an ArcGIS Server installation and are not supported with hosted feature services currently. There is currently an idea regarding this issue that I recommend that you support and also read for some updates on the status of this issue.

https://community.esri.com/ideas/9987