Web AppBuilder Developer vs WAB on Portal vs WAB on AGOL

Jump to solution
02-15-2017 02:50 PM
RobScobie2
New Contributor

Currently, I have three versions of WAB at my disposal:

• ArcGIS Online (Company Specific)
  • Portal (Company Specific)
  • Web AppBuilder Developer Edition (Installed on Desktop)

The ideal solution would be to leverage my companies “Portal” deployment to re-configure our existing Silverlight web mapping applications to something built with WAB. The biggest problem is that our current “Portal” configuration is quite basic and there are very few widgets available. There are a lot more options in Silverlight out of the box.

When I compare “Portal” with WAB Dev or AGOL WAB it seems like Portal is a step behind. Unfortunately, my IT support is limited so I would like to take this into my hands. I have also been discouraged from using AGOL to build viewers because of security concerns.

Without simple widgets like “Select” or “Identify” I am not sure if WAB is a feasible solution based on our current setup. My question is if it would be possible for me to create an application using WAB Developer/AGOL and have that added to Portal? Are there issues with backward/forward compatibility when using different versions of WAB?

If widgets were added at the viewer level using WAB Developer (versus adding some custom widgets to Portal) will that viewer work on Portal? Can an application built with WABDev even be added to Portal considering they are developed using different versions?

Hopefully, this question makes sense. Let me know if you need more context!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Rob,

WAB on premise Portal is always older than AGOL or Developer WAB as it has to be released with the ArcGIS release cycle unlike the AGOL and API quarterly release cycle.

You can leverage your companies on premise Portal install by using the web maps and service you publish to it but you could not use the builtin WAB version on it if you want the latest WAB (which has widget the select widget ans such). Also using that Portal WAB does not allow for custom widgets like the Identify widget you mentioned as custom widget can only be used on WAB Developer Edition. You can use your on Premise portal and it's web maps and services with WAB Developer though if you host the finished app on your own web server. A WAB Dev app can not be uploaded to Portal. Hopefully I have covered your questions if not just reply back.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Rob,

WAB on premise Portal is always older than AGOL or Developer WAB as it has to be released with the ArcGIS release cycle unlike the AGOL and API quarterly release cycle.

You can leverage your companies on premise Portal install by using the web maps and service you publish to it but you could not use the builtin WAB version on it if you want the latest WAB (which has widget the select widget ans such). Also using that Portal WAB does not allow for custom widgets like the Identify widget you mentioned as custom widget can only be used on WAB Developer Edition. You can use your on Premise portal and it's web maps and services with WAB Developer though if you host the finished app on your own web server. A WAB Dev app can not be uploaded to Portal. Hopefully I have covered your questions if not just reply back.

RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

I second what Robert says.To clarify one line

You can use your on Premise portal and it's web maps and services with WAB Developer though if you host the finished app on your own web server.

Part of what that means is you can create a "appid" that is needed for the Developer Edition either on ArcGIS Online or on the local Portal install. 

To help you get started, I have a few blog posts that may help.  The main one is the /blogs/myAlaskaGIS/2016/03/09/web-appbuilder-developer-edition-customization-resource-list?sr=search...‌ which list the custom widgets available, announcements about the software, etc. and links to mine and other blogs.   It gets updated often.

RobScobie2
New Contributor

Thanks again Robert and Rebecca.  Thanks for sorting out my question. It couldn't be any more clear. Keep up the good work, you two are legends on here!

0 Kudos
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Rob,

Glad to help. Be sure to close the thread by marking it as answered.

0 Kudos