ArcObjects licensing question

12-23-2010 08:34 AM
AndrewBrown1
Occasional Contributor II
Hello,
I hope I'm posting this in the correct forum, if not I'll move it accordingly.

I would like to start developing an add-in to ArcGIS Desktop using my concurrent ArcInfo license, the SDK for .NET, and Visual studio 2008. I am able to create an ArcMap add-in project within VS2008, but when I start to add controls, I receive a message saying "This control requires an ArcGIS Engine Developer Kit license." I don't want to make a standalone application, but only an add-in to ArcMap.

Am I able to use my current ArcInfo license to develop an add-in, or would I need to purchase an Engine Developer Kit license?

Thanks,
Andrew
0 Kudos
4 Replies
Venkata_RaoTammineni
Occasional Contributor
Hello,
I hope I'm posting this in the correct forum, if not I'll move it accordingly.

I would like to start developing an add-in to ArcGIS Desktop using my concurrent ArcInfo license, the SDK for .NET, and Visual studio 2008. I am able to create an ArcMap add-in project within VS2008, but when I start to add controls, I receive a message saying "This control requires an ArcGIS Engine Developer Kit license." I don't want to make a standalone application, but only an add-in to ArcMap.

Am I able to use my current ArcInfo license to develop an add-in, or would I need to purchase an Engine Developer Kit license?

Thanks,
Andrew

There are different steps you should basically follow..

1) First VS2008 should be installed
2) Install ArcGIS Desktop and SDK .whatever...so..

I hope this helps you...
0 Kudos
RichardWatson
Frequent Contributor
Engine consists of a set of common libraries, i.e. present in Engine, Desktop, and Server.  It also contains Engine specific UI controls. 

Choices:
1) Do not use the Engine specific controls
2) Get an Engine developer kit license
0 Kudos
GregRieck
Occasional Contributor III
Andrew,

I'm not sure if you can purchase just an ArcGIS Engine Developers license. However, you can purchase an EDN (ESRI Developer Network) license that includes a license for all of the ESRI products except ArcView, ArcEditor and ArcInfo. You should talk to someone at your ESRI Regional office. You can find an office here http://www.esri.com/about-esri/locations.html

Greg
0 Kudos
JamesCoast
New Contributor
There are different steps you should basically follow..

1) First VS2008 should be installed
2) Install ArcGIS Desktop and SDK .whatever...so..

I hope this helps you...

Dear Venkat,

Do you mean that he doesn't need to get the EDN?, I'm in the same situation and I don't know if I need an extra license to develop an extension for ArcGIS desktop.

Cheers,

James
0 Kudos