AnsweredAssumed Answered

Finding points that are close to each other using a line-shapefile

Question asked by sofiawillebrand on Feb 14, 2017
Latest reply on Feb 14, 2017 by dkwiens

Hi guys!

So I'm working with a dataset with two shapefiles, one with about 2000 points and another shapefile with about 1000 lines bound together which looks something like this (a small part of the total map):

Example_PointsandLines

The map shows railways and stations along the railway. The points are located on the lines, with the help of the tool Near. What I want is to figure out which points are closest to each other using the line-shapefile, not just measuring the distance straight between the points. This is beacause i want to create links between the stations, and in the existing line-file there are more links (lines) than I have. I have tried looking a bit at the network analysis tools, but cant figure out how to convert it to a network dataset, and I am wondering if there is an easier way of doing this? Feel free to ask questions, since it is a bit difficult describing the issue optimaly for your understanding. I am quite new at GIS, and know only of the basic tools and am still trying to grasp the details. 

I am using ArcGIS 10.4.1. 

Outcomes