AnsweredAssumed Answered

ArcMap 10.5 Consistently Crashing Every Hour

Question asked by danmerritts on Feb 13, 2017
Latest reply on Feb 13, 2017 by danmerritts

So recently we upgraded all of our computers to the newest ArcGIS Desktop, version 10.5. All 6 of our computers are currently running the program.

However, there has been problems with one of the computers, particularly with a specific .mxd file. We are a land surveying company, and all of use and share a single .mxd file which has all the locations we have surveyed, along with thousands of hyperlinks and other various files (roads, parcels, etc.). I myself was working in the file itself initially, editing a specific point file to add hyperlinks for utility maps across the county which we work. But I was running into issues while doing this, as every hour or so (sometimes even more frequently), ArcMap would completely shut down and the dialog box for "sending an error report" would appear. I've send ESRI an error report twice since this problem has happened.

So, initially I thought that maybe it was due to working on a file which was being used by multiple people at once on occasion, so I created a new .MXD and also copied all of the shapefiles and other layers I would need into this new .mxd file. Yet, the problem has persisted, and right now I have to save my edits frequently to avoid losing some of my work.

Here are some computer specs if they could be of use:

Manufacturer: Dell Precision 3620

Operating System: Windows 10 Pro

Version: 1607

OS Build: 14393.693

Installed RAM: 16.0 GB

Processor: Intel(R) Core (TM) i7-6700 CPU @ 3.40GHz 34.1 GHz

System type: 64-bit operating system, x64 based processor

Hope I'm not the only one having this issue and that somebody knows a fix (My biggest worry is that we'll have to all downgrade to an older version of ArcGIS)

Any help would be appreciated!

Outcomes