I am unable to select a single feature from a shapefile

Jump to solution
02-12-2017 10:52 AM
Labels (2)
RickCheney
Occasional Contributor III

I have a vector shape file with two "features" in it (see first image below). 

I would like to make this shape file look like the image below.  I am using the latest version of ArcDesktop for Home, and ArcMap.  I understand that I can click Editor, Start Editing and then use the small black arrow/pointer to select "features".  When I click on either of the green areas (in Data View), nothing happens.  In the Table of Contents, if I right-click on the layer and then click on Selection  >>  Select All, the entire layer gets selected but I am unable to select only one of the two green areas.  I think I could use the Reshape Feature Tool to make the features above look like the image below, but the Reshape Tool does not work with multiple selections.  This is the only layer in the map.  The layer has a Geographic Coordinate System (GCS_North_American_1983) I don't know if this is a problem with the "Projection" or what.  I opened a blank map and added this shape file so the Coordinate System or Projection should be the same as the Data Frame.  Any ideas?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

I think it's a multipart feature. Use Multipart To Singlepart—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop to break it into singleparts. Then, you will be able to select individual feature part.

Think Location

View solution in original post

2 Replies
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

I think it's a multipart feature. Use Multipart To Singlepart—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop to break it into singleparts. Then, you will be able to select individual feature part.

Think Location
RickCheney
Occasional Contributor III

Thank You!  thank worked perfectly.  I used the Windows Search on the main menu bar at the top and searched for multipart to singlepart.

I deleted the small part and then Reshaped the large part, and then right-clicked on the Layer in the Table of Contents and Saved As Layer File.