Can I please ask something I beg... the shapefile is disapearing when I am sooming it (Roads Shapefile), when Itry to project the shapefile again, my ArcCatalog and ArcMap get closed when i open the ArcToolbox. What might be wrong...? Please help me

02-08-2017 09:34 PM
XolisaSoqashe
New Contributor
Can I please ask something I beg...
the shapefile is disapearing when I am  sooming it (Roads Shapefile), when Itry to project the shapefile again, my ArcCatalog and ArcMap get closed when i open the ArcToolbox. What might be wrong...?
Please help me
0 Kudos
3 Replies
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Check for any scale range defined for the visibility of the layer (Layer Properties > General tab).

For the ArcMap crashing issue due to ArcToolbox, try https://community.esri.com/docs/DOC-7545?sr=search&searchId=02a9bbe3-6164-4576-9549-861bfc8df14e&sea... especially https://community.esri.com/docs/DOC-2121?sr=search&searchId=e0563cf0-99f7-45d4-b5f2-7b8eb9b55e03&sea...‌.

If the issue persists, you might need to contact Esri Tech Support to have a closer look into the issue.

Think Location
RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

....when Itry to project the shapefile again,...

my guess is since you mention projecting again, that the shape in question was projected before this started happening.  It may help others to know

• version of the software?
  • what did you project from and to...and did you make sure the source was really in that projection and not just "assigned" a projection.?
  • what command did you use to project (or again, did you just try to assign a projection without really projecting...we see that sometimes on the forums)?
  • where are you saving the shapefile (if really a shapefile, make sure it is not in a fgdb folder)?
  • a graphic of what it looks like before is disappears, and after (assuming other layers are still showing) may help other see if it is a scale-display issue or a projection issue.)

As far as ArcCatalog crashing, I second Jayanta's suggestion to reset your profile.

MelitaKennedy
Esri Notable Contributor

Try running the Check Geometry Tool and if anything is found, Repair Geometry Tool (on a copy of the data). Also, try deleting and recreating the spatial index.