CrystalCowardin
New Contributor III

How do I add images stored on a server?  

0 Kudos
5 Replies
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

Hi Crystal,

To add images to a story map they must be accessible via a URL and you simply add the URLs of the images to your story map. Specifically how to add the URLs depends on which story map app you are using and where in the story map you want to add an image.

If you could provide a little more info about which app(s) you are using to build your story I can point you in the right direction.

That being said, referencing images where they are currently stored does not optimize them for display in the story map. If you have original, full-resolution images they may be very slow to draw in you story. The best way to add images is to upload them in the story builder so that they live with your story and are optimized to load quickly. 

Owen

Owen Evans
Lead Product Engineer | StoryMaps
CrystalCowardin
New Contributor III

I created a Feature Layer from Desktop that has a variety of points in it.  In AGOL, I added that to a map, shared and then created a story map tour.  When the story map opens up, I see all the information for my points.  When I try to edit the image and paste the url in there, I can see the picture.  Once I save and preview, there are no images at all.

0 Kudos
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

Crystal,

Thanks for the additional information. The issue is likely that since you created the layer yourself it doesn't have the fields required to store image URLs. The feature layer needs fields named "pic_url" and "thumb_url" to store two image links.

Is there a reason you are using Desktop to create the feature layer for your Map Tour? In most cases the best workflow is to build your tour using the Map Tour builder. You can chose to upload images right to your story, which is the best option since your images will be optimized for display on the web, or you can reference the images using their current URLs if they are already on the web.

If you reference images you should make sure you've already optimized them according to the instructions in our FAQ here. To reference images via URLs, choose Advanced options > Start a new tour or download the CSV template if you want to enter all your information at once.

Owen

Owen Evans
0 Kudos
CrystalCowardin
New Contributor III

I used Desktop because I already have a feature class with over 100 points that I want to include in the story map. I just thought it would be easier that way. 

0 Kudos
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

Hi Crystal,

Ah ok, I see. Unfortunately, Map Tour currently only supports up to 99 points, and in our experience the best tours usually have 20-30 points.

Is there a way you can categorize your points to group them? If so, you may want to look at the Story Map Shortlist app. It's much better when you have more locations to include in your story map. At the end of this month we hope to release an update to Shortlist that will let you use a feature class. You can check the ArcGIS blog for an announcement of the release and more information about this new workflow.

Owen

Owen Evans
0 Kudos