How do I request Story Map enhancements?

02-07-2017 09:24 AM
JustinFultz
New Contributor III

Hello,

My organization recently published a cascade story map: http://arcg.is/2gJpBcV

Through the process we identified some enhancements that would be great to see in future releases of the cascade story map builder. These were limitations that we worked around, but we felt would have made the process easier and the final product more visually appealing. I would like some feedback on the feasibility of the enhancements, and the process for officially requesting their implementation. I would also love to hear any other enhancements other folks might like to see.

1. More control over font type and size
  2. Ability to wrap text around images
  3. Ability to overlay text on images in the tool, rather than having to use a photo editing software (this makes last minute changes cumbersome)
  4. Preventative measures to ensure editors can't overwrite each other
  5. More control of image size
  6. Ability to use bulleted/numbered lists. This is available in other story map builders and would have been extremely helpful.
  7. More control over placement of pull quotes, including ability to wrap text
  8. Ability to do drop caps - big initial letter to start paragraph/section, then smaller text to follow
  9. Standard indentations
  10. Issues with editing in IE, but I assume this is a know issue that isn't a concern?

Thanks in advance for any feedback!

Justin

0 Kudos
4 Replies
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

Hi Justin,

Thanks for taking the time to post your feedback on Cascade!

The formal process for logging an enhancement or bug that is critical to your or your organization's use of ArcGIS is to log it with Esri Support. Informally, you can post comments/suggestions here on GeoNet and also consider creating entries for individual ideas on the ArcGIS Ideas space so others can vote for them so we can see how many other people would also benefit from your idea.

We are already considering several of the things on your list, and it would be great if you could provide a little more information about some of your requests so that we can understand the need behind each request.

• More control over font type and size -- We are looking at adding additional font sizes. Can you share why you want to change the font type?
  • More control of image size -- What additional sizes are you looking for? Could you give an example of how the current sizes don't meet your needs?
  • Ability to use bulleted/numbered lists. This is available in other story map builders and would have been extremely helpful. -- We are considering this, but don't have a timeline for when it would be added.
  • More control over placement of pull quotes, including ability to wrap text -- Can you be more specific? What would the quote text be wrapping around? Could you provide a rough mock up of what this to look like?
  • Ability to do drop caps - big initial letter to start paragraph/section, then smaller text to follow -- We are considering this, but don't have a timeline for when it would be added.
  • Issues with editing in IE, but I assume this is a know issue that isn't a concern? -- Cascade builder is currently only supported on Chrome and Safari.

Owen

Owen Evans
Lead Product Engineer | StoryMaps
JustinFultz
New Contributor III

Owen,

Thanks for the quick response. I've replied inline below.

• More control over font type and size -- We are looking at adding additional font sizes. Can you share why you want to change the font type?  -- This really wasn't an issue for me. Our Communications Department, who helped with design, was interested in using a different font type. Think they would just prefer to be able to have more control of the look and placement of text overall. Really, this is just to allow us to be a bit more creative and use fonts that match other products created by our Communications Department.
  • More control of image size -- What additional sizes are you looking for? Could you give an example of how the current sizes don't meet your needs? -- This is not only size, but placement. When multiple images are added together, it would be great to better define width/height so they can cover entire screen width rather than a standard space. Also had trouble with multiple images side by side not being the same size when using a mobile device, even though they were sized identical prior to loading. Keep in mind, I have a limited knowledge of the product (this is my first go at it) so maybe there is a way to control this that I'm unaware of.
  • Ability to use bulleted/numbered lists. This is available in other story map builders and would have been extremely helpful. --We are considering this, but don't have a timeline for when it would be added. -- This was big for us. I feel the bullets we used in our story map look very unprofessional because we couldn't indent without adding spaces which cause issues when the app is resized dynamically for different screen sizes or device types.
  • More control over placement of pull quotes, including ability to wrap text -- Can you be more specific? What would the quote text be wrapping around? Could you provide a rough mock up of what this to look like? -- The idea isn't that the quote would wrap something, but that text could wrap the quote. I guess the overall idea of wrapping around quotes or images is that everything doesn't have to be sequential, one element after another. You would have the ability to add elements side by side or an image embedded within the text element. This is pretty standard format for pieces in magazines, newspapers, online, etc. and would be a welcome feature for the cascade story map..
  • Ability to do drop caps - big initial letter to start paragraph/section, then smaller text to follow -- We are considering this, but don't have a timeline for when it would be added. --
  • Issues with editing in IE, but I assume this is a know issue that isn't a concern? -- Cascade builder is currently only supported on Chrome and Safari. -- No biggie. Assumed this was the case.
0 Kudos
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

Hi Justin,

The idea isn't that the quote would wrap something, but that text could wrap the quote. I guess the overall idea of wrapping around quotes or images is that everything doesn't have to be sequential, one element after another. You would have the ability to add elements side by side or an image embedded within the text element. This is pretty standard format for pieces in magazines, newspapers, online, etc. and would be a welcome feature for the cascade story map..

We've seen authors create different styles of pull quotes or other stylized text elements in other apps and take screenshots of them to include in their Cascade story. If you or your creative folks have specific style requirements outside of what our builder currently supports, this is a good way to get the end result that you are after.

Also, if bullet lists are critical to your story you could create lists in another app and screenshot them to include in Cascade as well. The body text font used in Cascade is Noto Serif. We are considering adding lists, but don't have a timeline yet.

This is not only size, but placement. When multiple images are added together, it would be great to better define width/height so they can cover entire screen width rather than a standard space. Also had trouble with multiple images side by side not being the same size when using a mobile device, even though they were sized identical prior to loading. Keep in mind, I have a limited knowledge of the product (this is my first go at it) so maybe there is a way to control this that I'm unaware of.

In the release coming at the end of Feb 2017 we'll be improving image galleries. The images will always align nicely on a desktop or mobile device regardless of their original sizes, and you'll be able to have multiple rows of photos in the same gallery. Below are some examples of how the new galleries will look...

Owen

In Cascade builder...

In a Cascade story...

In a Cascade story on an iPhone...

Owen Evans
Lead Product Engineer | StoryMaps
JustinFultz
New Contributor III

Thanks Owen! I look forward to the enhancements in managing images. Also, I appreciate the ideas for workarounds. While having to do a task in another app and take a screenshot is not ideal, it could provide us with the end result we are looking for.

Thanks again!

Justin

0 Kudos