ArcGIS fails to copy the same table in the layer list in order to apply multiple definition query,

02-07-2017 09:45 AM
MajdoleenO_A__Awadallah
Occasional Contributor III

ArcGIS fails to copy the same table in the layer list in order to apply multiple definition query,

Despite the fact that we can copy the same feature class and apply different definition queries, we couldn’t apply this on a table, also when trying to add the table from the GDB, we can add it only once in the data frame?

For example, I have a feature class and one table, and want to apply different definition queries on the table and relate it to the Feature points, I want to keep the same structure (one table and one feature class and relate them with different queries), what is the best practice? Any suggestion is highly appreciated.

Thanks

Best,

Majdoleen

Tags (1)
6 Replies
AbdullahAnter

Copy layer? or Definition query ? what do you want?

0 Kudos
AbdullahAnter

You Can't Copy tables in TOC. But If you want to create Many tables with different Definition queries .

Use Make Table View tool.

Make Table View—Help | ArcGIS Desktop 

MajdoleenO_A__Awadallah

Thank you Abdullah, I have one more question, can we edit the view table and the edit will reflect it on the main table? Is that available?

Best,

Majdoleen

0 Kudos
MajdoleenO_A__Awadallah

Hi Abdallah,

After tried your suggestion, I found that when trying to join the view table (which contains only 37 records as shown in my screen shot), the join will depend on the main table and not the new one (47 records), so this solution will not resolve my issue, what do you think?

Best,

Majdoleen

0 Kudos
AbdullahAnter

Make table View tool creates same records count of original table. except :

1- you enter Expression In the tool.

2- you have selected some records of table within running the tool.

0 Kudos
MajdoleenO_A__Awadallah

Thank you Abdallah, I highly appreciated your effort, it will be great if anyone can provide us with the best practice to join the same feature point with the same table but after applying different definition queries.

Best,

Majdoleen

0 Kudos