How to georeference a bunch of rasters?

02-07-2017 03:11 AM
VukCeperkovic
New Contributor II

Hi, everyone.

I have a 300+ raster files (orthophoto) in TIFF format and I have excel file with coordinates (lower left and upper right corners) of these rasters. I am searching for a method to  georeference those rasters the fastest way possible.

I have tried manually but it is a lot of zooming, un-zooming and it s now accurate enough. 

1. I defined projection of those rasters and export them to generate TFW files. When I changed particular tfw file (with right text calculated in excel file) but there is no change in scale or location of assigned raster. 

2. I tried with wrap raster tool but can not figuared up that approach to my problem.

3. I do not know how to code in Python, obviously.

I really appreciate any help you can provide.

p.s. I have attached .xls file for your reference. python;‌georefference‌ tfw‌

I am using ArcGIS 10.2.2

0 Kudos
9 Replies
George_Thompson
Esri Frequent Contributor

Hi Vuk,

You may want to move this post to a different place within GeoNet. Right now you have it in the GeoNet Help, which is more related to issue with GeoNet as a whole. Here is some documentation on doing this: https://community.esri.com/docs/DOC-2258 

I would also include the version of ArcGIS/Pro that you wish to use to accomplish this.

I would also recommend using tags to allow the post to be read by multiple different groups. 

https://community.esri.com/community/gis/imagery-and-remote-sensing?sr=search&searchId=814a2f58-a1cc...‌ 

--- George T.
NeilAyres
MVP Alum

I don't see any attachments.

Are the coords in the xls the exact corner coordinates of each image?

Arc version and stuff like that.

Normally, georeferencing requires the pixel location of the gcp and its real world coordinate, quite difficult to automate. But may be possible given my q1.

0 Kudos
VukCeperkovic
New Contributor II

Something went wrong with attachments. I fixed it.

Coordinates are extracted from URL address and they are exact coordinates of each image, as you can see in Excel file.

My first thought was to export those tiffs, and edit TFW files one by one but that doesn't work for some reasons.

Then, I try to simplified process by searching for RASTER SNAPPING tool to ease myself in manual georeferencing and couldn't find that neither.  

0 Kudos
NeilAyres
MVP Alum

Image georeferencing :

georeferencing-toolbar-tools

VukCeperkovic
New Contributor II

Ok, I know that, Is there a faster way to georeference 300 TIFFs if i know scale and upper left corner of each image?

Thank you anyway.

0 Kudos
CodyBenkelman
Esri Regular Contributor

This item http://pm.maps.arcgis.com/home/item.html?id=d1b4e3afeda7405fb34578207f0ad256  in our "Imagery Workflows" Group on ArcGIS online is intended to support this requirement.  The first step is to build a Mosaic Dataset with images approximately georeferenced (using the information you have regarding scale and location of one corner), then use the block adjustment capabilities in ArcGIS to refine the exterior orientation.  If you have ArcGIS Pro 1.4, the Ortho Mapping tools should give you good results (note that the item referenced here was written for ArcMap 10.3.1, and has not been updated for ArcGIS Pro, so I would advise you read through both sets of documentation before going too far.  If you need further assistance, let us know...)

Cody B

SimonWoo
Esri Contributor

1) In regards to editing the worldfile, here are a few tips to hopefully get it working (some are obvious but are pitfalls that might occur):

- Make sure that the 6 parameters are all specified correctly within the .tfw file

Overview of georeferencing—ArcGIS Pro | ArcGIS Desktop  (scroll to the Transforming the Raster section)

- Make sure that the file name is correct (the .tfw file relies on the name to be exact)

- Make sure that your notepad saved out a .tfw file and not a .txt file for instance filename.tfw.txt is just a text file

- When using in ArcGIS Pro, make sure that your worldfile takes precedence over internal spatial references

1. Click the Project tab
  2. Click Options > Raster and Imagery
  3. Expand the Raster Dataset tab
  4. Check the "Use worldfile to define the coordinates of the raster" check box

2) The Warp tool uses the concept of "from" and "to" ground control points, much like manual georeferencing would.  It is in the form of a geoprocessing tool, where you must specify the all the point pairs. Unless you already have the coordinates of all the ground control points, this will not work for you.

NeilAyres
MVP Alum

And note that a world file does not contain any information about what the coordinate system is. For that you need define projection.

VukCeperkovic
New Contributor II

My problem was that I separed 6 parameters of .tfw file wrong with adding space between them within the .tfw file. Correct way was to separate parameters with enter button.

Thank you all for helping me. 

0 Kudos