Find position up a stream routing system

02-03-2017 03:54 PM
Labels (1)
PaulHuffman
Occasional Contributor III

I keep getting asked about this and wondered if there is an elegant solution.  For our PIT tag release locations, I am commonly asked how many river KM the location is up from the mouth of the stream and what the river km is on the receiving stream for the mouth of the  contributing stream. While I can use the  Identify Route Locations to point at these locations down the stream on a stream route layer like SSHIAP (in Washington State), and copy down the route measures,  is there a better method where I can overlay a point feature class on stream routes and get that information of point measure and confluence measures downstream?  Is there a way to get route measures from NHD? 

0 Kudos
3 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

What about linear referencing as an option?

0 Kudos
PaulHuffman
Occasional Contributor III

Yes, I'm using linear referencing when I point at the tagging location with the Identify Route Locations tool, writing down the route number and measure.  What I am stuck on is how can I also walk the linear referencing downstream to get a measure on the stream that is jointed and then the next, automatically?  

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Short of coding, I see nothing obvious to complete the task automatically.  I don't have anything offhand that might fit the bill.

0 Kudos