How do you pick the field that AGOL uses to display the list of related tables?

02-02-2017 11:10 AM
SeanSpendley1
New Contributor II

Making a application that edits database entries for complaints. I've related the tables, so the complaint is a point, which relates to the table showing the violations, which relates to the table that shows the action/tickets. This is using the app creator.

I've named the relates so it's easy to tell which table you're going to when clicking through relates, but the individual records it relates to are seemingly using a random field as the identifier when you arrive at the list of related tables. I've tried rearranging the fields in the table, and configuring the popup, to no avail. 

Any suggestions?

So the way it looks is you have a popup, you can see the relates, which are named based off of the relationship class that defines them.

Click through the related, and the rows shown there are named based of of a random field (the code field, which I put a the field name into the field to figure this out.)

How do I choose which field is shown here? 

12 Replies
AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor

Sean, this thread might get more visibility if it were placed in the https://community.esri.com/community/gis/web-gis/arcgisonline?sr=search&searchId=0d413ab9-8860-4cf3-...‌ place instead of the GeoNet Help.

SeanSpendley1
New Contributor II

whoops, good call. 

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

moved... https://community.esri.com/docs/DOC-1544  which also contains tips on moving threads yourself etc

RELAdmin
New Contributor III

I just had this same issue. It's the "Display Field" that controls this, not the pop-up settings like I had thought (this controls what is shown here in ArcGIS Collector).

You can edit the display field of your ArcGIS Online layer by opening the service layer of your feature, then opening up the admin screen by inserting "admin" between "rest" and "services" in the URL. 

Click "Update Definition" on the bottom of the screen. You will see the "Display Field" within the definition editor just a few lines down from the top. Change this to whatever field you want to display there. Also, you must change the number after "lastEditDate" in the definition editor to "" before you click save (just two quotations).

Let me know if this works for you.

~Phil

SeanSpendley1
New Contributor II

When I insert "/admin/" into the URL, it brings up a page that says "REST cache is handled automatically with ArcGIS Server 10.1 or later..." about not having to clear the cache, with code:400.

It sounds like you're right about what needs to be changed, but the menu won't come up. Any ideas?

0 Kudos
RELAdmin
New Contributor III

Sean,

The method I posted was for a feature service that is hosted on ArcGIS Online. This may be different if your features are on ArcGIS Server.

SeanSpendley1
New Contributor II

Ah, well for the record, this method absolutely works with layers hosted in AGOL. Thanks for the help, it got me pointed in the right direction. I'll post what I figure out.

0 Kudos
RickeyFight
MVP Regular Contributor

We just had this issue on our services.

If you are hosting your own layer, Change the display expression in your layer properties in the Display tab in the mxd.

Then republish the service. 

SeanSpendley1
New Contributor II

Beautiful. If it was a dog it would have bit me. 

Thanks!

0 Kudos