Roberts Identify Widget

Jump to solution
01-31-2017 01:00 PM
Labels (1)
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

Brand new to the AGOL scene, and just downloaded Roberts identify tool and I'm trying to figure it out.  My map has 4 feature classes in it: Streets, Cities, Fire Dispatch Polygons and Law Dispatch Polygons. Please overlook the fact that I'm not a web developer, and may not be using the proper terminology etc....

When I try to configure the widget, what URL should I be entering for each feature class?  I tried to use the ArcGIS Online url that points to the map itself that I have created, as well as using the rest end url from the published service here locally.  Either way the red exclamation stays.  If I don't add any URLs, I can get my features identified. (read on...)

How do I get rid of Roberts list of feature classes and replace them with mine? I have found that if I don't change anything, I can use the identify tool and get the results for my features.  If I remove his names in the list, the widget does not work.

Finally, I'd like to limit the amount of information returned when executing the widget.  What I have unsuccessfully tried is clicking on the layer list widget and displaying the attribute tables of each of my feature classes.  My end users don't need to see OID, SHAPE, GUID, etc, etc, so I turn them off under Options/Show-Hide Columns.  When I uncheck an item, save the app and launch it, I still get OID, Shape, GUID etc returned...

Thanks!

rscheitlin

That should just about do it....
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Joe,

Based on your requirements you just need to enable popups for that polygon layer on your web map in your AGOL account.

Configure pop-ups—ArcGIS Online Help | ArcGIS 

View solution in original post

9 Replies
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Joe,

The url you should be entering is the full url to the specific layer in the map service (i.e. http://sampleserver1.arcgisonline.com/ArcGIS/rest/services/Louisville/LOJIC_LandRecords_Louisville/M... )

Once you have the url properly defined in the widgets settings UI then you choose which fields to display.

You should take a look at the help doc:

Web AppBuilder for ArcGIS | Help - Identify Widget 

JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

Thank you Robert-   I was looking at that web page already, and as mentioned, entered the rest end from my actual published service as well as the arcgis online map.  However, I just realized that the rest end URL is an internal (10.x) ip.  Perhaps that was the issue?

0 Kudos
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Joe,

That could be, if your WAB instance does not have access to that internal ip. 

BTW: you really should steer away from using ips in web app all together.

RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

I would think the LocalLayerWidget would help in that case, but I agree, avoid IPs if you can. 

edit:..

also, you mention AGOL....you are using the developer edition of WAB, correct?  if you are adding/modifying widgets, you will need to use that.  If you haven't already, look at my /blogs/myAlaskaGIS/2016/03/09/web-appbuilder-developer-edition-customization-resource-list?sr=search...‌  to help find the link to download, etc.

RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Joe,

You should use the same external url that you used to add the service to your web map.

JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

Robert and Rebecca-  thank you both for your replies.  I'm going to back waaay up and explain my journey thus far:

All I want is to have a web enabled map draw up on a colleagues screen with which she can geocode an address and then identify the underlying polygon feature(s) in which the geocoded point falls.

I didn't see a way to identify a feature so I poked around the Geonet and found Robert's widgets, and downloaded the latest rev of Roberts identify widget.  The demo page is cool, and I figured this is what I want.  Then I came to realize I needed the Developers WAB so I downloaded it, and with help of a guy from ESRI Tech Support got it configured. That's where things started going a little sideways for me.  Thank goodness for quitting time...

At any rate, I'm now sitting and my kitchen table and just recieved an email from a buddy suggesting I configure a pop up to return the information I want.  I'm going to have a shot of Tequila, dinner with my lovely wife, turn in early and see what tomorrow brings.

Thanks again!

RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

...just received an email from a buddy suggesting I configure a pop up to return the information I want.

that does seem like it would do what you need to start.  Many ways to do this.  If your servers are all internal only, you can also look at just using the JavaScript API, and not a WAB app.  Roberts is much more fluent than I am on any and all of this, but you can looks at many sample code and demos, and even play in the sandbox, entering your own rest endpoints and then copying the code.  Check out

Labeling features on the client | ArcGIS API for JavaScript 3.19 

edit...sorry that was pasted from something else I was just looking up....start here

Samples | ArcGIS API for JavaScript 3.19 

that is for the JS 3.x .... Js 4.0 is on it's way but not fully developed. 

RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Joe,

Based on your requirements you just need to enable popups for that polygon layer on your web map in your AGOL account.

Configure pop-ups—ArcGIS Online Help | ArcGIS 

JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

Awesome Robert.  Thank you so much.  Yesterday I couldn't spell developer.....  Today I are one.....

0 Kudos