Disagreement between scale bar and scale text on printed map.

01-30-2017 12:41 AM
DitlevReventlow
Occasional Contributor II

Hey everyone.

I have created a map in Arcmap in fixed scale 1:200. I have added both scale text and scale bar to my map. However, when I print out my map on paper (In A4), these is disagreement the scale text and the scale bar. The scale text of course indicates that 1 cm is 200 cm. However, according to the scale bar, 1 cm is more like 2.3 cm. 

How come there can be this disagreement between the two scale items? Shouldn't the scale text be trustworthy when you print out your map? And how should I react to it? I just need to be sure that I know how long 1 cm is on the map.

Thank you for your help!

Kind regards

Ditlev. 

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
6 Replies
FC_Basson
MVP Regular Contributor

Did you print directly from ArcMap or did you export first and then printed the map?

DitlevReventlow

I think i printed it directly, but I am not completely sure. Which difference does it make whether you export or not?

0 Kudos
FC_Basson
MVP Regular Contributor

Printing an exported map could cause resizing depending on the printer settings.  I prefer putting a scalebar on the map instead of scale text, then at least your scale indicator resizes with the map - it is just to be on the safe side if you distribute your map to someone else who decides to print your A4 map as an A5.  You should be safe if you printed directly from ArcMap.  

DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Map elements—Help | ArcGIS Desktop  under scale text says...

One drawback of scale text is that if a printed copy of the map is duplicated at another scale (enlarged or reduced), the scale text will be in error. Scale bars do not suffer from this limitation. Many maps have both scale text and a scale bar to indicate the map scale.

NeilAyres
MVP Alum

It is common that, pdf for example, defaults to "size to fit", so the scale text will no longer be true.

Only use scale text when you have absolute control of the whole printing process.

DitlevReventlow

Thank you for all your answers. I interprete it as if I set the fixed scale to 1:200 and just print directly from Arcmap layout view (in A4), then 1cm on the printed map should be equal to 200 cm. I have just tried to do this, and it indeed seems to work.  

0 Kudos