Desktop 10.3.1 Install fails (EventID 1000)

Jump to solution
01-26-2017 07:11 AM
NeoGeo
by
Occasional Contributor III

Installation of ArcGIS Desktop 10.3.1 is failing with Windows Log EventID 1000 on Windows 7 x64.  Faulting module kernelbase.dll.  Attempting to run the installer for the license manager instead of the Desktop software yields the exact same results.  The install stops immediately with the same error.

The computer previously was running ArcGIS Desktop 10.2.1 which was uninstalled before the attempted installation of 10.3.1.  The user had installed every single option available including the ArcObjects SDK, Data Reviewer, Desktop Background Geoprocessing, License Manager, Workflow manager, Case Tools, and Data Interoperability all of which had been uninstalled.  This user's computer has higher spec's than the other computers which worked fine and has plenty of RAM (16 GB)  and disk space. 

1) ran sfc /scannow

2) I am using the run as administrator option. 

3) I have tried multiple copies of the install media (and it had installed properly on other computers from this media anyway)

4) I tried reinstalling 10.2 which worked fine but the user cannot open any mxd's because everyone else is on 10.3

5) User's computer has both Nvidia and Intel video chipsets.  I am not sure how ArcGIS determines which one to use.

6) Installed all Windows Updates and installed the latest video driver

7) As a last resort, tried cleaning the registry of ESRI and ArcGIS entries to no effect. 

If anyone has any ideas, please let me know.  Thanks!

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
NeoGeo
by

The program crashed before a log was generated.  It later occurred to me that the installers are just self-extracting executables so I downloaded and installed Winzip and manually extracted the files from the exe.  After that, setup worked fine.  Security settings and software were interfering with the self-extract process.  Our network is so locked down that even a domain admin cannot disable the security and antivirus software.  This process worked for everything except the Python installation file which Winzip reports as corrupt on more than one copy of the file so it looks like I will have to figure out how to do a repair.  I could get Python from an outside source, but I was not sure whether the ESRI version included some extra libraries. 

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
LaureneKoman

Please run the ArcGIS for Desktop setup to produce a log file and share the log file.  You can run the setup in the following way to produce JNsetup.log in your %temp% folder:

"[path of setup files]\Setup.exe" /L*V %temp%\JNsetup.log

for example:  "E:\My downloads\Desktop\setup.exe" /L*V %temp%\JNsetup.log

when the setup fails, dismiss the error dialog, locate the log file and share it on this thread.

thanks

0 Kudos
NeoGeo
by

The program crashed before a log was generated.  It later occurred to me that the installers are just self-extracting executables so I downloaded and installed Winzip and manually extracted the files from the exe.  After that, setup worked fine.  Security settings and software were interfering with the self-extract process.  Our network is so locked down that even a domain admin cannot disable the security and antivirus software.  This process worked for everything except the Python installation file which Winzip reports as corrupt on more than one copy of the file so it looks like I will have to figure out how to do a repair.  I could get Python from an outside source, but I was not sure whether the ESRI version included some extra libraries. 

0 Kudos
LaureneKoman

when Desktop installs (from setup.exe) it should also install Python. There should be no need to install Python individually.

0 Kudos