custom login

01-24-2017 03:02 AM
wadsonmakari
New Contributor III

Dear all,

Has anyone done a custom login widget (by extending the esri JavaScript web appbuilder dev edition) that opens on application startup and challenges the user for username and password. Ideally I would like the widget to open at the centre of my application with the rest of application 'greyed out/inactive' in the background.

Any pointers/pseudo code will be much appreciated.

Kind regards,

Wadson

0 Kudos
6 Replies
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Wadson,

I have not seen anyone create something like this as the WAB workflow would not really allow this. Widget are created at a latter time in the WAB app lifecycle and it would allow access to the app before the widget was created. The way I handle this sort of thing with standard JS API apps is to wrap the app in a asp.net website that has user authentication built using .Net. So basically I create a new .Net website app and do all the .Net configuration for authentication and then replace the html portion of the default.aspx with my JS API html code (leaving the asp login portions of course). You will need to Google this as it really has nothing to do with esri though.

0 Kudos
wadsonmakari
New Contributor III

Thanks Robert,

I was hoping the workflow would be similar to the Flex API. I am upgrading an ESRI Flex application whose identity management is done via existing web services. I was therefore looking to build a custom login page that will run the web service to authenticate users and then load the JavaScript application with the widgets the logged in user has access to.

In the Flex API I was able to build the UI and logic of the custom login in the index.mxml file.

Robert are happy to talk off line about the approach you describe above?

Regards,

Wadson.

0 Kudos
RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Wadson, I deleted my comment on your other thread https://community.esri.com/thread/189014-custom-login-esri-web-appbuilder-dev-edition     do you can go deleted that one since you recreated it here (which is a better location)

0 Kudos
BillSpiking__GISP
Occasional Contributor
wadsonmakari
New Contributor III

Hi William,

Have you been able to implement the suggestions on the thread you provided above? Thanks for this by the way. Where do you put the widget.js and widget.html files so that the widget opens on application startup?

Kind regards,

Wadson.

0 Kudos
BillSpiking__GISP
Occasional Contributor

Hi Wadson,

Unfortunately I haven't tried to implement, just thought it might be a good starting point for you.  Sorry.

Regards,

Bill

0 Kudos