Hello all freinds , I'm new members on this community and I would like to tell you that I'm student . I study geography and I'm interstated in Arc GIS . Could any one help me to know all principles about it . My best humran

01-23-2017 10:46 PM
MohammedHumran
New Contributor II

How to progress my self on Arc GIS

0 Kudos
14 Replies
AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor

There are many great places to start. If you are a student, it would likely be best to start with an Introductory GIS class. From there you would likely receive a textbook that can help you dig deeper.

What sort of things are you wanting to accomplish with GIS? Do you have a project in mind that GIS might be a tool for?

There are several great intro-based books that can help step you through learning GIS (I have used Esri Press Book Resources | GIS Tutorial 1: Basic Workbook, 10.3.x edition for teaching others).

You can also explore websites like Get Started with ArcMap | Learn ArcGIS  and What is GIS 

It would help to know what you are wanting to accomplish before directing you to a more specific place.

~Adrian

DerekLaw
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Mohamed,

Welcome to the GeoNet community. You may want to start learning about GIS in general with this free web course,

https://www.esri.com/training/catalog/57630434851d31e02a43ef28/getting-started-with-gis/ 

And here's the link to the general Esri Training site: https://www.esri.com/training/ 

Hope this helps,

RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

in addition, there are many free videos on most ArcGIS software and skill level

Esri Videos | E360 Videos: GIS, Events, ArcGIS Products & Industries 

MohammedHumran
New Contributor II

Hello Adrain , Rebecca and all friends who respond to me .

Thank you so much for your respond . My goals to know GIS , to know how to make maritimes maps and other maps to study many issues and cases , to progress to have master and phd to be professor at university . I want to know how to deal with GIS from the beginning, how to understand all windows , applications , outputs , inputs and all introductions and vocabulary that used on GIS .

Thank you so much for your help .

My best

Mohamed humran

Sent from my iPhone

0 Kudos
RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Since you mentioned vocabulary, here are a few more links to various GIS dictionaries.

GIS Glossary - GIS Wiki | The GIS Encyclopedia 

Esri Support GIS Dictionary 

https://www.gislounge.com/gis-dictionary/ 

GIS dictionary 

many of the terms may be repeated.

MohammedHumran
New Contributor II

Hello Rebecca ,

Thank you much for your help !

My best

Humran

Sent from my iPhone

0 Kudos
Suzanne-Boden
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Humran, here's another link you may find useful. Esri Training has put together learning plans on several GIS topics. Each plan has groups of courses and lessons to help you master the topic. These can be a really useful jumping off point to start building up your GIS body of knowledge. Best wishes for your learning journey! www.esri.com/training/Bookmark/r16xYb_Px

MohammedHumran
New Contributor II

Thank you so much for all friends ,

I will try to check out all link that you sent to me . I'm do happy to have excellent friends like you . What do you think about mastering arc GIS ? Is it helpful for beginner.

My best

Humran

Sent from my iPhone

0 Kudos
RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Humran,

i would read the online reviews for the book. I saw a book "Mastering ArcGIS" on Amazon, for example, and see several review. Since those should be from other new users that actually used it for themselves, those might be a good place to start.

Most GIS training books that make it to publishing stage are probably good, but much of is dependent on how you learn and whether you will go thru the tutorials included of not.  I tend to use books (printed or digital) as resources vs. sitting down and going thru all the chapters tutorials. My personal experience for "learn xxx in 30 days" type of books is I start them but don't finish, but that is me.  So whether any book is good for you or not is somewhat dependent on how you learn.  Most likely is will be a combination of all the resources (including the free ones) mentioned above.

In any case, keep in mind that learning GIS is a continually evolving topic.  Learning the basics is of course a first (and very important) step, but there are always new tools and platforms to learn, and depending on your discipline, there are typically specialized tools to learn.  For example, if you enjoy programming/developing, there are many options (I like Python for development Py... blog‌  and JavaScript and https://community.esri.com/community/gis/web-gis/web-appbuilder?sr=search&searchId=43227f0d-5d9e-46d... for web development).   

So, there is not a one learning platform fits all.  I would take a look at all the links mentioned, including the free ones, and pick up at least one of the intro tutorial books.  GIS is fun...enjoy the journey!

Dont forget to mark any answered that are helpful, but when done, unless on answer is best, you probably want to mark this thread as "assumed answered" so the post/thread can be closed.