ArcGIS Pro Export a Layout with a World File for Georeferencing unavailable

01-23-2017 07:50 PM
MarkChilcott
Occasional Contributor III

Hi Peoples,

In ArcGIS Pro I can export a Layout to Tiff, but according to the help it is not possible to do this with a world file or as a GeoTiff   Export a Map or Layout :

For maps, choose whether to generate a World File. The world file is used to contain georeference information so the image export can be used as raster data in ArcGIS Pro or other GIS applications. This option is unavailable for 3D view and layout exports.

I note this is the same with ArcMap - unless you purchase the additional Production Mapping extension Export Layout to GeoTiff

Esri Production Mapping allows you to export a page layout view to GeoTIFF. GeoTIFFs are TIFF files that contain spatial reference information.

It would be good to have this functionality in the standard product.

Cheers,

Mark

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Georeferencing is in the production plan according to the scoop in ArcGIS Ideas, an your idea has been floated before... https://community.esri.com/ideas/3492 perhaps not quite so specific, but https://community.esri.com/community/arcgis-ideas?sr=search&searchId=14dcf817-0b4d-4cc3-b525-77ac882...‌ would be a good place to look for other georeferencing requests and/or to post your own.

MarkChilcott
Occasional Contributor III

Hi Dan,

I'll vote on the idea and add to it. 

Cheers,

Mark

0 Kudos
EgorNozdrya
New Contributor III

Hi Mark,

I kinda suspect why ESRI does not allow to export layout as hi-res georeferenced raster.

There is a workaround though.

(1) Export layout to pdf with georeferencing information checked on. Make sure dpi is at least 300 and maximum detail. I am also setting pdf compression to something lossless - like LZW or none - to preserve details.

(2) Use PDF to TIFF command to extract geotiff 

The only thing - Arcmap Desktop bombs out when exporting large layouts (paper sizes 36x48 inches and larger) with full detail and higher dpi - "Not enough memory to create metafile" since it is 32bit app with not very efficient memory management.
 So another workaround is to use Arcgis Pro to exporf pdf. You still can run into limit again - "GPU Resources exceeded..."
Good luck