Host survey123 on Enterprise

Jump to solution
01-23-2017 02:41 AM
JohnMcConalogue
New Contributor III

Currently my Survey123 surveys are hosted on ArcGIS online.

Is it possible to host Surveys on ArcGIS enterprise with all the same functionality as online?

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JamesTedrick
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi John,

There is currently partial support for Survey123 with ArcGIS Enterprise.  In particular, Survey123 Connect and the Survey123 field application can connect to an ArcGIS Enterprise installation, use Portal to store the form information and use the Data Store to store survey data.  The Survey123 website cannot yet be configured to work with an ArcGIS Enterprise installation; we are working on supporting both configuring the survey123.arcgis.com website to connect to a portal as well as an on-server installation capability.

In another post, you asked about public surveys.  Just to note, the surveys published into an ArcGIS Enterprise installation are limited by the network accessibility of the installation - if your Portal and Data Store are not publicly visible on the internet, you can't have a public survey (a 'public' survey in that case would be limited to people inside your company's network).

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
JamesTedrick

Hi John,

There is currently partial support for Survey123 with ArcGIS Enterprise.  In particular, Survey123 Connect and the Survey123 field application can connect to an ArcGIS Enterprise installation, use Portal to store the form information and use the Data Store to store survey data.  The Survey123 website cannot yet be configured to work with an ArcGIS Enterprise installation; we are working on supporting both configuring the survey123.arcgis.com website to connect to a portal as well as an on-server installation capability.

In another post, you asked about public surveys.  Just to note, the surveys published into an ArcGIS Enterprise installation are limited by the network accessibility of the installation - if your Portal and Data Store are not publicly visible on the internet, you can't have a public survey (a 'public' survey in that case would be limited to people inside your company's network).

0 Kudos
FinnianO_Connor
Occasional Contributor II

Hi JTedrick-esristaff‌, just to clarify, a survey published internally with Portal/Data Store as 'Public' will be available to anonymous users (no logon required for Portal) in the organisation? Assuming of course they are on the same internal network?

Thanks,

Finnian

0 Kudos
JamesTedrick

Hi Finnian, you are correct- Survey123 will act the same as other applications hosted on Portal.  

0 Kudos
MichaelSchoelen
Occasional Contributor III

Clarifying on a different level: What exactly would this look like (having Survey123 split between SaaS and Enterprise), in terms of security?

• Would a non-network user have access the the survey, but no access to the survey data/ be unable to submit a survey without presenting network credentials?

or

• Would the non-network user be unable to access the survey in the first place? If so, is there a security risk?
0 Kudos
JamesTedrick

Hi Michael, 

By having a 'split' security model, are you talking about hosting the Feature Service on an ArcGIS Server Feature Service and then registering it with ArcGIS Online to work with a form that's published to ArcGIS Online?  Or another configuration? (as documented in How To: Create Survey123 for ArcGIS surveys that connect to non-federated ArcGIS Server services )

In the above scenario, the registration in ArcGIS Online is done with embedding a username/password in the ArcGIS Online item; this allows for anyone with access to the feature service in ArcGIS Online to also be able to access the feature service.

For some of what you're trying to address, it might be useful to distinguish between the security in terms of access to the service and the capabilities of the service.  ArcGIS Online hosted feature services, for example, can be set to 'add only, no querying'.

0 Kudos
DiegoLlamas
Esri Contributor

Hello James,

I am trying to host my survey on portal and i am getting an error " Global id based relationship requires support for applyEdits with GlobalIds".

I have done some test and research, this indicate that the issue is specific to relationship class which ArcGIS Online creates for configuring repeats with the data. When the data is being downloaded from ArcGIS Online. The relationship created by default is between "Primary Key : Global Id" and "Foreign key : parent Global ID" 

As per the documentation:

"If using ArcGIS Server 10.3.1, repeats cannot work with related layers or tables unless the relationship uses a GUID field for the relationship in the parent layer. Although not a requirement in later versions of ArcGIS Server, best practice would be to use a GUID field for the relationship in the parent layer. "

https://doc.arcgis.com/en/survey123/desktop/create-surveys/survey123witharcgisserver.htm#ESRI_SECTIO...

I have tried different relationship classes for e.g. based on "Global id" vs "GUID , "GUID" vs "GUID".

It has never worked for me. As well as, The behavior with data downloaded from ArcGIS Online, as per my understanding is perfectly acceptable "The Custom feature service (Submission url) is not compatible with this survey (Global id based relationship requires support for applyEdits with GlobalIds)." as the global iD are not editing enabled.

Have you seen this behavior when we you host your layers and tables on arcgis geodatabase and your survey hosted on portal?

Thanks,

Diego Llamas