Identify device which is used to fill in Survey123 form?

Jump to solution
01-18-2017 03:54 AM
FinnianO_Connor
Occasional Contributor II

Is it possible to get information about the device a user is completing a survey on? e.g. make, model, device name etc.This data ideally would be automatically harvested without any user input.

Thanks,

Finnian

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
FinnianO_Connor

A quick look on XLSForm.org  answered my own question. While it would be nice to be able to get the phone/tablet make and model my requirement is to be able to uniquely identify each device so using the deviceid field type will work in this case.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
FinnianO_Connor

A quick look on XLSForm.org  answered my own question. While it would be nice to be able to get the phone/tablet make and model my requirement is to be able to uniquely identify each device so using the deviceid field type will work in this case.

AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor

Finnian,

I am guessing this part of the XLS Form site is what you saw for deviceID

I wonder, though, if there isn't a way to grab the make and model of the device.

This isn't necessarily related but I use ExifTool by Phil Harvey for getting the Exif data for pictures taken on mobile devices. Using this tool, I can obtain all sorts of info that is stored in each photo (particularly make, model, ID, etc.). Anyways, I don't have a direct answer for this situation but there may be another way to get this data (and maybe even Survey123 can grab this information, I don't know).

FinnianO_Connor

Hi Adrian,

Yes, the metadata part of the XLS Form site was where I got that from. That's a nice tool you linked to as well, I haven't used it before so must give it a go.

Cheers,

Finnian

0 Kudos
ZoltanKovacs4
New Contributor II

Adrian,

IMEI is a unique device id that could be used to identify the device (make, model, etc). There are various websites (like this) that allow you to lookup IMEI numbers.

On the other hand, the help says the above elements are not supported.

"The following XLSForm metadata elements are not planned to be supported: deviceid, subscriberid, simserial, and phonenumber."

0 Kudos