Can I safely rename a ArcGIS Data Store machine in my ArcGIS Server site?

Jump to solution
01-04-2017 07:25 AM
MatthewBull
New Contributor II

According to Esri documentation it's safe to rename a GIS Server machine name in your ArcGIS site.  ArcGIS Server will detect the change and update it automatically.

Common problems and solutions—Documentation (10.4) | ArcGIS Enterprise 

I would like to know if this applies to the ArcGIS Data Store.  If I change the machine name of my Data Store machine, will that change be automatically detected and will my Data Store continue to work? 

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DerekLaw
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Matthew,

> I would like to know if this applies to the ArcGIS Data Store. If I change the machine name of my Data Store machine, will that change be automatically detected and will my Data Store continue to work? 

I just checked with the Development team, if the ArcGIS Data Store is configured as relational then you should be fine. If it's configured for tile cache or spatiotemporal, then there may be issues (and we don't recommend you change the hostname).

As always, we recommend that you create a backup of everything before making any changes, just in case.

Hope this helps,

View solution in original post

3 Replies
RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

I don't know for sure, but if you are talking about the items within the DataStore, my guess is that it will not change the machine name in a connection, but you should be able to edit it. 

If the MXDs refer to the DataStore item in a semi-generic way it should be ok, or if they way it refers to the data source is the same.  For example, we use the same MXDs on our dev and production servers and the have a folder registered and called as ddata.  On each machine we have this pointing to d:\data\.<folders>.  We have others items that are referring to a specific machine.  We would not want any of these DataStore items to automatically change paths. 

For those that use a connection file to connect, for example, to an ArcSDE/Enterprise database, I'm able to update the .sde conneciton file that I originally used, test it, and edit the DataStore item to use the new connection file.  This was to update user credentials and/or SQL server changes, but just pointing out that editing and replacing sometimes does the trick.

DerekLaw
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Matthew,

> I would like to know if this applies to the ArcGIS Data Store. If I change the machine name of my Data Store machine, will that change be automatically detected and will my Data Store continue to work? 

I just checked with the Development team, if the ArcGIS Data Store is configured as relational then you should be fine. If it's configured for tile cache or spatiotemporal, then there may be issues (and we don't recommend you change the hostname).

As always, we recommend that you create a backup of everything before making any changes, just in case.

Hope this helps,

FraserHand
Occasional Contributor III

Hi there,

This is most likely way too late, but yes you can but there are a few steps (this @ 10.5)

You'll need to update the hostidentifier.properties file in <install>\DataStore\framework\etc to reference the correct host name - this didn't appear to update after a host name change and reboot.

After that you'll need to update your ArcGIS Server references

in your <arcgisserver>\config-store\data\enterpriseDatabases\AGSDataStore_ds_<ds_id>\dataItem.json update the DS hostname. Then update <arcgisserver>\config-store\data\dsconnections.lst if you have one

Note that this was just for a relational store.

Thanks,

Fraser