What is the issue with installation of ArcGIS?

01-03-2017 09:03 AM
SasanNaghieh
New Contributor

I extract ArcGIS and then install that, but in the last step, it is written click "Finish" to exit the installation. When I click on "Finish", mouse changes to circle shape and nothing happens and it remains in this situation without finalizing, I wait 3 to 4 hours. Can anyone who experienced such a problem help me to solve the problem?

hint: I should add that I had a old version of GIS that I uprooted that and then install the new one. I have an advanced license and my windows is 10.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
6 Replies
RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

I'll move this to https://community.esri.com/groups/arcgis-for-desktop-installation-support  since this sound like you are installing Desktop and not having issues with ArcGIS Online

Did you upgrade your license manager or authorize the software with a valid 10.4.x license?

Have you tried cancelling the install and rebooting the machine?

Is this a Windows 10 machine that was recently upgraded from a previous Windows version?  I know when I did the auto-upgrade last year, some of my files were copied/moved to a temp folder by the Microsoft process.  You may want to check out, but if the previous version of Desktop was working that probably wasn't the problem.

SasanNaghieh
New Contributor

Thanks for your answer,

I am sure about license and I rebooted the last version through Control Panel. The thing that I am not sure is the last part that you mentioned. How can I be sure that some files were not copied/moved by Microsoft process? Can you explain more?

0 Kudos
RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

It was on one of my machines at home (we are still on Win7 at work), so I can't explain exactly where they went. I just know I found a temp folder with files that were in "My documents" and maybe other folders.  The path under the temp folder helped me place them back in the correct space.  It may have just been a fluke on my machine, but worth looking at.  But again, if the previous version of ArcGIS was working after any upgrade to win10, that wouldn't be the issue.

Are you using a single-user license? a concurrent-use? a student version?    What version of Desktop are yo installing now?  (I think the snapshot said 10.4.1   ??)

All that would help others help diagnose the issue. 

0 Kudos
SasanNaghieh
New Contributor

Yes. It is student one and (10.4.1)

0 Kudos
RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

I'm not as familiar with authorizing student versions as some like Dan_Patterson‌ and vsfoote‌ might be, so I'm tagging them. 

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

At our institution, there is a process to gain access to the student licensed software.  In our case, the access is enabled through a contact manager so that access to arcgis online etc can be monitored and managed without our license structure.  You probably have someone similar or were given instructions on how to access and register your software... I would begin there.