Python 2.7.9 and ArcGIS 10.3.1

12-27-2016 09:51 PM
AnthonyCheesman1
Occasional Contributor II

Hello everyone

I would like to know if it's possible to run Python 2.7.9 with ArcGIS 10.3.1 (which ships with 2.7.8).

The reason I need to use 2.7.9 is I have a couple of other Python tasks that run that use 'requests' for accessing https:// sites. 2.7.9 is a pre-requisite for requests to work with my https: sites of choice.

I did try installing 2.7.9 alongside my ArcGIS 10.3.1 install on my last PC, but that was a spectacular failure. I've upgraded my PC (now on a corporate image) so I'm very wary of trying to do the same again, lest I incur the wrath of our IT support people or have to re-image the machine.

I'm sure this is possible, I'm just wondering if anyone here has actually done it before!

Thanks

0 Kudos
4 Replies
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

It could be possible with some tweaking, but not recommended by Esri.

FAQ: What version of Python is used in ArcGIS?

It is not recommended to install an independent version of Python for use in ArcGIS. Using a different version of Python can lead to compatibility issues and root folder problems.

ArcGIS 10.4 comes with Python 2.7.10 and ArcGIS 10.5 comes with Python 2.7.12, if that helps.

Think Location
ChristianWells
Esri Regular Contributor

Another option would be ArcGIS Pro, which would install side-by-side with ArcGIS Desktop and comes with Python 3.4

Also, is there anything preventing you from using urllib or urllib2 as native modules for http/s requests?

AnthonyCheesman1
Occasional Contributor II

Thanks Jayanta, Christian

A bit of investigation last night found an alternate way around the issue.

By installing an alternate version of requests (pip install requests[security]) the SSL issue I was facing seems to have been resolved.

(Further info at stackoverflow via python requests ssl handshake failure - Stack Overflow )

Good to know that updating Python versions is not recommended! The documentation on the issue (via Jayanta's link) shows 10.3.1 being compatible with 2.7.x and shipping with 2.7.8 if no other version found on install. I interpreted this as potentially being compatible with later versions (ie 2.7.9) but based on my experience recently of trying to install it side by side, and your advice, I would suggest it's not a route worth trying.

Thanks again.

V_StuartFoote
MVP Frequent Contributor

Upgrade the install to 2.7.13 (rel. 2016-12-17) -- it will use the existing path and ArcGIS defaults, you'll be fine.

Python Release Python 2.7.13 | Python.org 

The installer will show you the existing , C:\Python27\ArcGIS10.x

If you have the 64-bit background geoprocessor, you'll want to upgrade that as well.  That will be C:\Python27\ArcGISx6410.x directory.

Upgrading into the directory laid down by the ArcGIS for Desktop install will retain the ability for an ArcGIS uninstallation to also remove the Python 2.7

ArcGIS Pro's Python 3.4 is not compatible for use with ArcGIS for Desktop--and you then have the annoyance of having to manage paths to call the right python version if they are both present.

Correct path is configured  internally in ArcGIS Pro and ArcGIS for Desktop as to which Python to use--for other things you have to do it yourself.

Stuart