Annotation

12-19-2016 03:14 PM
RickArdell
New Contributor II

Is there a way to convert your labels in ArcGIS Pro to annotation?

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
7 Replies
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

This functionality is not available with ArcGIS Pro. One needs to convert Labels to GDB Annotation in ArcMap and can only be displayed/viewed using ArcGIS Pro.

FAQ: Can annotations be created or edited in ArcGIS Pro? 

Think Location
RickArdell
New Contributor II

Thanks Jayanta,

That's fine if you only have a few projects for the same areas. I create a couple hundred projects for different areas in a year. The labels need to be centered and the only way I could guarantee that was to convert labels to annotation with all the other layers turned off. This will not work for me. ESRI needs to fix this. 

0 Kudos
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor
0 Kudos
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

Rick - annotation is not supported at ArcGIS Pro 1.4 but is on the roadmap for the ArcGIS Pro 1.5 release in 2017.  The current workaround is to create the annotation in ArcMap, edit as needed, and add as a layer in ArcGIS Pro.  Not ideal but will work.  Let me know if you have additional questions.

0 Kudos
RickArdell
New Contributor II

Thanks Robert. That is welcome news.

Rick Ardell

GIS analyst

WM Beaty & Associates

Redding CA.

AZendel
Occasional Contributor III

It was good to see that ArcGIS Pro 1.4 was released while I was on vacation.  But it was disappointing to see that editing geodatabase annotation did not make it into 1.4.  The inability to create and edit geodatabase annotation is the one major hang-up that prevents our organization from using Pro for nearly all of our projects that require layouts (and most of our projects eventually necessitate layouts to communicate our work).  Not being able to customize/edit/refine the labels placed by the label engine is a show stopper.  ESRI Staff, I urge you to fast track annotation editing.  This functionality seems way more important to me than just about everything listed on the "What's new in ArcGIS Pro 1.4" page.  If this functionality becomes available before the major 1.5 release (as suggested above), I think you should push it out as a minor release (e.g., 1.4.1).  

0 Kudos
WendyHarrison
Esri Contributor

Hi

As Robert said above, we are working on the annotation functionality right now and it will be available in the near future.  We know that many of our users are waiting for this one last bit in their workflows in order to move over to Pro.  We understand the importance and we don't want to rush it out in a minor release (eg. 1.4.1).

thanks for your patience

Wendy

Text Product Engineer - Development

0 Kudos