Arcade expressions in Collector?

12-16-2016 09:38 AM
Trippetoe
Occasional Contributor III

Hello.

Are Arcade expressions recognized in Collector?  I have generated a test map in AGOL and based the symbology on an Arcade expression. It works fine in AGOL, but the same map seems to crash in Collector.

Thank you.

16 Replies
BWSCIM
by
New Contributor III

Just experienced this today, used an Arcade expression to provide logic for symbology and the features no longer appear in Collector maps.  Would love to get an 'official' answer on this?

0 Kudos
Trippetoe

I learned about Arcade from a post by Rene Rubalcava‌ on his odoenet - programming geo  blog site.  Maybe he can give an answer, official or otherwise?

0 Kudos
ReneRubalcava
Frequent Contributor

Looks like a future version of Collector will support Arcade expressions. According to the blog post, you'll see Arcade support coming to more apps coming up.

Over time you’ll start to see Arcade supported in more apps, and it will crop up in more places to enable you to do more than just customize the presentation of your data. We have some really exciting things planned so stay tuned.

I don't have any timeframes though.

Trippetoe

Thanks for the reply Rene.

I am looking forward to Collector support for Arcade.

tom

KatherineO_Brien
New Contributor II

I confess to researching the use of Arcade Expressions after starting a field collection project.   I certainly wish COLLECTOR will soon be able to take advantage of expressions.  Here is the back story.

We wrote a successful expression in an ArcGIS Online Map. The behavior of the hosted feature in the map worked as expected when edited in the map. We are doing field inspections of features on UNC at Chapel Hill’s campus using COLLECTOR. The hosted feature is symbolized on two values of an attribute. When the feature is inspected we want the inspected feature to turn a different color indicating it has been inspected. As I said this works very well in the AGO map viewer. However the hosted feature layer no longer displays in COLLECTOR once we applied the expression. When we removed the expression from the AGO map the hosted feature does display in COLLECTOR.

Here is the expression:
If ($feature.FEATURE == “BOLLARD”){
If ($feature.DATE_INSPECTED>=1)
{
“Bollard Done”

}
Else {
“Bollard”

}
}

Else
{
“Misc”
}

We have called ESRI Tech support and have an open case. 

Now I know we need to wait a little longer for the functionality to work in COLLECTOR.

Trippetoe

I just created a new 'Idea' for expediting support for Arcade in Collector.  Please give it an up-vote if you like.

https://community.esri.com/ideas/12988 

0 Kudos
DougMorgenthaler
Esri Regular Contributor

Rene is indeed correct, support for Arcade expressions is something we intend to add support for in Collector.  Thanks tomrip‌ for creating an idea for others to upvote and comment on.

MichaelTownshend
New Contributor III

This item is over 2 years old and still does not appear that Collector, or Explorer, support maps symbolized using Arcade expressions.  Is anyone aware of the time frame for when this might be implemented?

HuongTran1
New Contributor III

Micheal they will not have Arcade expression available for the current collector app. They should have it available with the Aurora project Collector App which it is still in Beta for IOS and android.

0 Kudos