shortlist builder?

Jump to solution
12-10-2016 06:53 AM
RalfWeber
New Contributor

Dear All,

i tried to use the new "builder" ... but i'm not able to find him as discribed in the texts how to use

Maybe something i'm doing wrong, but...

(I want to use my created web map to create a shortlist app via the builder...)

Can anyone give me some help how to start?

... thks to all!

Ralf

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RupertEssinger
Frequent Contributor

Hi Ralf

If you aren't seeing the Story Map Shortlist (beta) app in your configurable apps gallery, like in the screenshot above that Adrian Welsh‌ kindly shared, then I think one of the following is the case:

- You may be using Portal for ArcGIS (the on-premises large enterprise version of ArcGIS Online. The beta Story Map apps (Shortlist, Cascade and Crowdsource) are not available in Portal for ArcGIS yet but will be once they are out of beta next year (expected before the User Conference in July)

- You may be using an ArcGIS Online Organization in which the configurable application gallery has been customized. Organization administrators can customize which apps appear in the gallery. If this is the case you could contact your ArcGIS Online administrator to request that Shortlist be added to your Organization’s configurable apps group.

Hope that helps.

Also after reading your question I am going to add a note into the FAQ and Shortlist tutorial on the Story Maps website that includes the two points above. So thanks for raising this as an issue.

Rupert

View solution in original post

10 Replies
AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor

Hi Ralf,

Go to this link:

Story Map Shortlist | Story Maps 

And click on the blue button that says Build a Shortlist

0 Kudos
RalfWeber
New Contributor

Dear Adrian,

thanks for your promt answer, but it is not that what i mean, i still know this way....

... i mean building a shortlist from my existing web-map, as discribed in the FAQs section,

pls see below:

"Can I migrate the places in my existing non-hosted Shortlist app into this new hosted version?

Yes. In ArcGIS Online, open the web map used in your existing Shortlist, share it as a web application, and choose Story Map Shortlist from the application gallery. You'll be prompted to choose the layer or layers in your web map that contain your Shortlist places. Those places will be imported into the Shortlist Builder where you can configure your new Shortlist application and perform any further edits and updates to your places interactively." ...

... if i do so, there is no shortlist to choose from the gallery!   This is my problem !

Ralf

0 Kudos
AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor

Ralf,

Are you not seeing this when you go to create a web app and then click on Build a Story Map?

If not, is your map set to be shared publicly? (I am not sure if this makes a difference or not, but something to look at).

RalfWeber
New Contributor

Dear Adrian,

sorry for my late answer, but by the first look, i have not seen the Screen-shot....

So now i see

yes, that's it, i do not see the application...

Thks,

Ralf

0 Kudos
RupertEssinger
Frequent Contributor

Hi Ralf

If you aren't seeing the Story Map Shortlist (beta) app in your configurable apps gallery, like in the screenshot above that Adrian Welsh‌ kindly shared, then I think one of the following is the case:

- You may be using Portal for ArcGIS (the on-premises large enterprise version of ArcGIS Online. The beta Story Map apps (Shortlist, Cascade and Crowdsource) are not available in Portal for ArcGIS yet but will be once they are out of beta next year (expected before the User Conference in July)

- You may be using an ArcGIS Online Organization in which the configurable application gallery has been customized. Organization administrators can customize which apps appear in the gallery. If this is the case you could contact your ArcGIS Online administrator to request that Shortlist be added to your Organization’s configurable apps group.

Hope that helps.

Also after reading your question I am going to add a note into the FAQ and Shortlist tutorial on the Story Maps website that includes the two points above. So thanks for raising this as an issue.

Rupert

RalfWeber
New Contributor

Dear Rupert,

yes, that's it...., but what can i do now...?

For the second Point: no, i'm  not a member of any organization...

For the first Point: Ok, i have to wait..., not a Problem, but what  can i do in the meantime,

(I'm not sure if i use "Portal for ArcGis"... ?, -> but how can i get/setup a "normal" ArcGis-Online account?)

Regards,

Ralf

0 Kudos
RupertEssinger
Frequent Contributor

Hi Ralf

How you'd access ArcGIS Online depends on how you are using ArcGIS. If you are using Portal for ArcGIS at work, it is possible that your organization also has access to ArcGIS Online which you may be able to use. So in that case it would be good to check with your administrator. If you are not in that situation, you could subscribe to ArcGIS Online or get a free Public Account for personal, non-commercial use (see the Get an Account section of our Resources page.

Rupert

0 Kudos
RalfWeber
New Contributor

Dear Rupert,

i tried to do as you suggested to get a "free Public Account for personal, non-commercial use"

I used the informations from my peronal G+ acount, but it did not work at all??

... what can this be?

Regards Ralf

0 Kudos
RupertEssinger
Frequent Contributor

Hi Ralf, I'm not sure why that didn't work for you. But if it still hasn't worked, you could use the option to create a new account by entering your information: https://www.arcgis.com/home/createaccount.html 

Rupert