RC123

DEM Hillshade topo map low land areas color wrong

Discussion created by RC123 on Dec 11, 2016
Latest reply on Dec 30, 2016 by RC123

I am using ArcGIS for desktop, latest version.  I used Spatial Analyst Hillshade tool and checked the box for Model Shadows to create a topo relief map.  I don't like the look I get but I have tried every way to change the properties of the layer in ArcMap.  Maybe the look I am able to get is limited by DEM data I am using?  If I can somehow make this "relief" look better, that would be great but either way, I need to find a way to fix the low land areas.  In the image below, the low areas are dark solid green.  I the second image, below, from Google Maps, you can see that the low land areas are swamp/marsh.  How can I change the color of this low land from from solid, dark green to something to indicate swamp?  Is it a matter of doing something with the properties in AcrMap?  Or, do I need to extract this solid, dark green data from the DEM data so that I can have it as a separate layer which I can represent with a swamp/marsh symbol?  If that is the case, how do I separate the DEM data?  Thanks, for any help you can offer.  Let me know if you need any more information.

image from my ArcMap

image from Google maps

Outcomes