Raster projection (Error 999999)

12-07-2016 05:40 AM
Labels (2)
Juan_LuisLechuga_Crespo
New Contributor II

Hi everyone,

I'm having some issues projecting a raster file (format .TIF) from GCS (ETRS98) to PCS (ETRS 1989 UTM Zone 30N). When I apply "ArcToolBox > Data Management Tools > Projections and Transformations > Raster > Project Raster" after a couple of minutes of proccess I get the following message in the Results tab (inside "Messages"):

" Executing ProjectRaster (...)

Start Time: (...)

ERROR 999999: Error executing function.

Failed to copy raster dataset

Failed to execute (ProjectRaster).

Failed at (...)"

I am running ArcMap 10.3 on a Windows10 laptop.

I tried to change otherwise (from ETRS 1989 UTM Zone 30N to ETRS98) and that way I do not get the same message. However, what I need is to project from a Geographical to a Projected Coordinate System.

Thank you very much.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
NeilAyres
MVP Alum

A few ideas :

Paths with spaces in them or other nasty characters.

Is it tif format both sides, input and output? Or into a geodatabase? No leading numbers for the name if gdb and no extension.

Are you specifying a datum transformation here as well?

Juan_LuisLechuga_Crespo
New Contributor II

Thank you Neil,

I am trying to keep paths as simple as I can, short names with only difference between capital letters. Certainly, I have come accross that problem before.

Relating to the .tif format, yes, it is .tif both sides, however no numbers applying in any name.

I'm not specifying any transformation. As the dialog box says, it only asks for an coordinate system in the input file and: the desired one on the output or the transformation. First I established both systems, however, I though about that and tried to applied a transformation (without indicating the output coordinate system). Unfortunately, it didn't work either.

Maybe any problem between these two coordinate systems? should I use another one?

0 Kudos
NeilAyres
MVP Alum

Sorry but what do you mean here :

"First I established both systems"

Was the data already georeferenced, as is normal. Or have you been fiddling with it?

0 Kudos
Juan_LuisLechuga_Crespo
New Contributor II

I meant that I established the output coordinate system, the input data was already georeferenced. After not achieving any success I tried to indicate not the output coordinate system but the transformation. Neither worked.

0 Kudos
NeilAyres
MVP Alum

Well you can't indicate a transformation without the output coordinate system. So I am not sure what you are saying here.

0 Kudos
Juan_LuisLechuga_Crespo
New Contributor II

That's true, output coordinate system must be indicated. However, I think it may be accomplished by two ways in the "Project Raster" window:

First, in the box: "Output coordinate system"

Sencondly, in the box: "Geographic transformation"

However, transformation does not fit to this situation because I didn't see any transformation (at least on the list in Project Raster window) from ETRS89 to ETRS 1989 UTM 30N, which is what I need. Is it possible that there is no possible transformation between these two coordinate systems?

0 Kudos
Juan_LuisLechuga_Crespo
New Contributor II

Finally I could make it.

I decided to reinstall ArcMap and now there is no problem with the projection.

Thank you very much for your help Neil.