How to draw a radius around and address and find all events from a CSV within that radius?

12-06-2016 09:22 PM
AnthonyGuerrero
New Contributor

Hello all,

I have literally 0 experience working with Geocoding/GIS/ArcGis. This is my first post in this community, and to be honest I've never even opened GIS on my work computer until today. The type of analysis I do is typically not graphical. Anyway, I am excited to begin learning how to use GIS. For this particular project I asked someone with maps/GIS experience how to go about doing this and he told me that it seemed easy enough to do on my own and would be a good learning experience. So here's the assignment I have and would like your help with how to go about doing it:

I am to find all incidents within a calendar year that fell within a 5 mile radius of a particular address. Right now I have a list of incidents and their addresses in CSV file. I think the project should be broken into 3 steps, which I hope are all simple for someone who has 0 experience with this software.

1) Geocode the address in question, and find a 5 mile radius around it

2) Import the list of other incidents/addresses from the CSV file into GIS, and geocode those as well.

3) Find the overlap and have ArcGIS output the list of qualifying incidents into a handy format.

Any and all help with this is would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for any help.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
AdamZiegler1
Esri Contributor

Hi Anthony - welcome to the GIS world! Well, you've already been a part of it, so welcome to the forum. The process you outlined is simple enough, but it is dependent upon one thing, a geocoding engine to place your addresses. A few initial questions:

• What environment were you planning to use for your efforts? If you are brand new to GIS, I might suggest using Maps for Office and ArcGIS Online for your work.
  • Do you have XY coordinates or just addresses?
  • Do you have access to a geocoding engine (esri has one, but it costs online credits to use)?

-Adam Z

0 Kudos